Extractor fans

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabby

Regular.
Reaction score
Brewed inside for the first time yesterday. Went great apart from the steam.

We have a hotpoint built in extractor. I removed the carbon filter as we have a pipe to outside but the whole area still got wet through.

Could I just upgrade the motor to a turbo version? Lol.

Its a 140w at the moment I think. I recon twice the power would be nice.

We have a hotpoint built in extractor. I removed the carbon filter as we have a pipe to outside but the whole area still got wet through.

I brew in the garage as my brew bench is beside the window which I keep open and because I have a roller door there is a gap giving me a continuous flow through the garage and out the window.
You should be able to upgrade your motor I assume.Try putting your filter back in and hold a tissue below to see what kind of draw you're getting.It might just need degreasing.

Sent from my ALE-L21

Or just brew outside ? plain lazy gets results

I brew in our laundry/conservatory and use one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322149161168?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

When looking at fans, I don't think it's watts you need to look at, it's how much air it shifts in an hour. I got one of the 205mm fans and it works great. Not too noisy. I made up a plywood holder for the fan that hangs on my open window. I boil just below the fan and it works really well with no condensation at all. When I'm done I just unhook it from the window and put it away as it doesn't look too pretty.

What about in stalling an inline extractor fan into the existing duct if you can, that should help boost the air flow but will mean having it on every time you use the extractor hood.

I brew in our laundry/conservatory and use one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322149161168?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

When looking at fans, I don't think it's watts you need to look at, it's how much air it shifts in an hour. I got one of the 205mm fans and it works great. Not too noisy. I made up a plywood holder for the fan that hangs on my open window. I boil just below the fan and it works really well with no condensation at all. When I'm done I just unhook it from the window and put it away as it doesn't look too pretty.

Bigjas, don't suppose you've a photo of your setup? I brew in an external garage, under a window with the door open slightly to create a draft, but when it's calm its not adequate. I do have a kitchen type extractor I hang from the joists and put the vent out the window, but its not up to the task. I like the look of the commercial unit you've got, and wonder how I could fit it in.

I haven't got a picture, but will take one tonight and post it up here. I am hopefully brewing on Saturday too so will take some pictures of it in action :thumb:

So here is my extractor fan set up that I use.

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

There's a reason a lot of us brew outside and here's an excerpt from t'internet to show you what you are up against:

"At average atmospheric pressure, the expansion ratio between water
in its liquid form and steam is 1:1700.
This means that under ideal conditions, 1 part of liquid water
expands to 1700 times the volume as steam when boiled."​

So, assuming that you boil off 4 litres of water during the brew it will turn into 6,800 litres of water vapour.

Garden beckoning? :lol: :lol:

Checking up at work and you lose most of the extract effect only 30cm from the extract point. So you need to get your extract close to the source for maximum effect.

The fan I bought has a flow rate of 400m3/h. They also sell a larger one that has a flow rate of 1750m3/h. My room that I brew in is approximately 5m x 4m and when I've got the fan on during a brew at this time of year I get pretty much zero condensation. So I don't need or want to brew outside. You can brew inside with no problem if you think about your set up. I am fortunate that I have a conservatory that I am turning in to a utility/brewing room. I have put in a worktop with a sink and water supply. I have also had an electrician put in a proper supply for my boiler and HLT. Once it's finished it will be a very comfortable place for a brew day all year round. The garden isn't beckoning....

Here is the fan in use. I brewed a stout yesterday and the outside temperature was 3 degrees C. It was a bit warmer at 10 degrees in the conservatory with my small heater on the go. It was a 70 min boil and there was almost no condensation at all.

IMG_0627.jpg

Latest posts

Back