Electrical help needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi!
I've just finished the control panel build and it works perfectly apart from one niggle - illuminated switches.
I ordered DPST illuminated switches as I originally planned to operate two circuits from one switch (e.g. both PID and fan on when the switch is thrown) before changing plans and having the fan switched separately.
Not wanting to waste the switches I used them, wiring up only one "side" of the switch - mains live in, live out to the load (fan, PID etc) and they work perfectly. However, I expected the switch to illuminate in the "On" position, but it doesn't.
They are 4-pin switches like the example attached.
How do I get these to illuminate?

switch.jpg

I offer my advice coming from a position of no real knowledge.
1 - Are all theswitches the same? Possibly you are using a faulty switch.
2 - Have you tried using the other pair of contacts to see if the power for the illumination comes from that?
3 - You could try linking the ins and the outs so the switch uses both.
Like I say I don't really know, it's just what I would try.
If you have any questions on Reinforced Concrete Detailing I could give you a more informed answer.

The switches will more than likely need a neutral connection, have you done this ?

Hi!
The basic wiring diagram provided by the seller simply popped the circuit breaker on the ring main.
I've worked out the correct way to wire the switch and contacted the supplier with a suitably correct diagram.
@Pawlo7671: I've used 12V DPST switches before as a break in the live feed of two separate circuits. These need to have the neutral routed through the switch in order to illuminate the LED. Thanks fo the advice.

Normally when I mention reinforced Concrete Detailing I just get a blank look. :lol:

Behind my blank look I am actually thinking of this ... :whistle:

https://www.rt.com/news/331682-taiwan-building-concrete-cans/

... but this Engineer takes the biscuit ...

"TAIPEI--The cooking oil cans found inside the pillars of a residential complex
that collapsed in Tainan during an earthquake Saturday were there
for aesthetic purposes and may not have been the cause of the collapse,
a structural engineer has said."

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:​

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2016/02/08/458009/Oil-cans.htm

Interested in seeing your control panel. Is there/are you planning a thread on it?

Hi!
Yes, I was hoping to do a thread on my setup.
There are photos here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54132&page=54 (posts 532 and 534). These were taken in mid-build.
The PID on the left controls the mash tun through a voltage regulator (the black knob in the centre). The PID on the right controls the HLT.
The green LED indicators are illuminated when the PID sends power to the socket.
The sockets are (L to R) Mash Tun, Pump, HLT.
The interior shows how I've mounted the SSRs and heatsinks above the extraction fan.
Colin

Latest posts

Back