Dead yeast - add more?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willyroyale

Reaction score
Ive just completed an extract wort using Wyeast Irish Ale 1084. I fear it maybe dead.

I purchased the yeast about a month ago and its date of production states Oct 2016 though should be fine for 6 months.

I activated the smack pack as instructed expecting the package to swell up. This didn't really happen. waited about 12 hours and started the wort. No more activity from the smack pack so i thought i may as well pitch as i don't have another of the same yeast.

Not much activity in the FV yet 6 hrs on. Time is a bit critical as im going away on holiday so ordered another yeast pack express delivery.

Question - would it be wise to pitch this straight in on top of the other if no activity in say 24 hrs? The original batch is 10l so a tad over-pitched already.

cheers

I don't know much about those smack packs but if they were transported badly that could have done it. There's probably straglers but wouldn't hurt to re pitch.

Back