IMPERIAL STOUT

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatlock

Reaction score
I am planning to do a Samuel Smiths Imperial Stout next week from Graham Wheeler's book.

6170g Pale Malt
620g Crystal
300g Roast Barley
620g Sugar
60g Goldings
70g Fuggles

I have not done many big beers so any advice/tips would be grateful.Hoping to do a barley wine after this.
Do i need to use a special yeast that can tolerate high levels of alcohol or can i just use Safeale.
Also any alternative Imperial Stout/Barley Wine Recepies would be good.

If you are going to use S04, then make sure to pitch a lot of it - I'd go for 3 sachets for that grain bill assuming that you're looking for 23 litres.

Alternatively - brew another "regular" beer first and rack it off the yeast, then pitch the IRS directly onto the yeast cake. This is probably the best way to guarantee you have enough yeast.

tatlock said:
Do i need to use a special yeast that can tolerate high levels of alcohol or can i just use Safeale.
Also any alternative Imperial Stout/Barley Wine Recepies would be good.
I would not use Safale 04 for any beer above 1.050, as it can prove to be a poor attenuator, My personal favorite for big beers like Barley wines and imperial stouts is Nottingham, although My last Imperial Stout used Windsor with very impressive fermentation (But then if you pitch three packets in 25L you should get good fermentation). Safale 05 is also a good attenuator but can take a considerable time to clear (Brewdog use it for a lot of their beers including Hardcore).

The only tip I would say is make sure you pitch enough yeast 2 or three 11g packets is not too much . . . We pitched 500g of Nottingham into just under 2BBL of Simmonds Barley wine (1.100) two weeks ago, (about 38g/25L).

Thanks for your comments! - 3 packs of Nottingham it is then! I am aiming to brew once a week so hopefully i will just pitch onto yeast at the bottom of the fermenter and keep it going for 3 or 4 brews.

After a re-think i am gonna do the following 3 (2 gallon ) brews using Nottingham yeast.
IMPERIAL STOUT - 3 kg pale,300 crysatal,150g roast barley - GUINESS EXPORT - 3 kg pale,1kg flakes barley,250g roast barley - STRONG PORTER - 3kg pale,300g crystal,300g chocolate.Just need help with the hops now.Any ideas?

My suppliers has First Gold in stock at 6.2 AA.Do you think about 60g in each brew?

Back