Brewferm Tarwebier Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the gravity of this last night and it read 1.024. Tasted the residue and I thought it was really bitter. A disaster, or so I thought.

So I took a proper sample this afternoon in a trial jar (rather than putting the hydrometer in the FV). The SG was 1.016 and it tasted good, although had a bitter aftertaste.

The instruction say to aim for a FG of 1.010 and I plan to leave it in the primary for another 5 days, then secondary for a week. It will have cleared sufficiently then so I can bottle it.

After reading this thread i left mine in primary for two weeks and got down to 1010 rpughly( I'm not sure how accurate my hygrometer is) its now been in secondary for over a week and i will batch prime next week and bottle. How did you know how much marmalade to add? I used dried orange pell for my flavouring but marmalade would probably be more effective.

Hi Rivvo, I had a complete guess, so I put a whole 454g jar in, accounting for the fact that only 200g of it was sugar.

I got the idea for using marmalade from an american recipe. I'm guessing that using marmalade would only really work in a wheat beer where you don't mind it being cloudy because the pectin in the marmalade will give any beer a cloudy appearance.

I'll let you know what it's like in a few weeks

Hi all brewed this kit up on the 18-11-13 left in fv for 10 days sg was 1008. so i racked off to another fv.
I wasn't sure wether to keep it warm or let it cool while it clears a bit so i left it warm for 1 day then i let it cool to 14.5 c. Been about 2 days now
I want to bottle some time this week.
Do i need to bring the temp up or shall i leave it cold before priming and bottleing.
I know i have to warm it up after bottleing to carb up.
Thanks

winnywood said:
Hi all brewed this kit up on the 18-11-13 left in fv for 10 days sg was 1008. so i racked off to another fv.
I wasn't sure wether to keep it warm or let it cool while it clears a bit so i left it warm for 1 day then i let it cool to 14.5 c. Been about 2 days now
I want to bottle some time this week.
Do i need to bring the temp up or shall i leave it cold before priming and bottleing.
I know i have to warm it up after bottleing to carb up.
Thanks

I just bottled mine cold then placed it in my warm cupboard to carbonate it worked a treat. :hat:

I racked this into a second FV last night and had a taste. First impressions are very impressive. It has more of a citrus taste rather than orange but the style is very smooth with a dry finish. It is darker than I was expecting, but that may be the wheat spraymalt and the marmalade.

I will be bottling next week and this is going to be a stunner! More luck than judgement on my part. The problem is keeping my hands off it until Christmas!

I put dried orange peel in mine and coriander seeds, can taste it in the background, mine too is much darker than expected, nowhere near the photo that monte posted, but not as dark as rui's either.

Well, I bottled this finally last Friday and had a sneaky tatse of the flat dregs, tasted quite nice and could definitely get the orange and coriander. The only downside is it tasted a bit 'thin' if you know what I mean? not much body to it though I'm hoping this will improve with the bottle conditioning, I didn't use any malt just dextrose.

a4asesav.jpg

First test of this today been in condition for about 2 weeks.

Not tryed whitbeer before so i had one at the christmas german market in brum last week and kept the glass.
Wasn't to keen on the german whitbeer to be honest so was a bit apprehensive about what mine was going to be like.

However my beer seems to be quite nice perfect level of carbonation just a little cloudy but you can tell its supposed to be like that and i thoughly enjoyed it so i put a couple more in the fridge.

So its definitely a yes from me and its a strong beer aswell only had one pint definitely feel it.

Well I tried my first bottle of this last night, it's been bottled about 4 weeks and to be honest it wasn't bad. Darker in colour than expected but similar to other photos on this thread, definite backnotes of orange ( along with an almost grapefruit citrus tang) only a slight hint of the coriander, good initial head but fades as you drink it, slightly cloudy as it should be, I think this will only improve with time.
The only issue is there was a slight yeasty taste reminiscent of my Dad's 1980's home brew, which he used to mess up by putting too much sugar in and drinking it too quickly! However that's a whole other story, is the yeasty taste normal or will it dissipate with time, any ideas?

yes, that yeast taste is normal....mine desapeared after eight weeks, and after 3 months its better than never!! advice, wait until has two months.....will be wonderfull!!

:cheers:

daf said:
I just finished doing this kit, I made it to 15l with:

1kg of wheat dme
13g dried curacao orange peel
13g coriander seeds
good squeeze golden syrup (3tbsp?)

Daf, how did this turn out by the way? I'm keen on adding the curacao and coriander when I do this next month. Thanks.

Mark

Well, here we go, a couple of months after bottling and the yeasty taste has gone.
Good initial head, not much mouthfeel, taste of slightly bitter oranges from the curaçao and an underlying hint of coriander, good initial head which gradually dissipates, not really cloudy enough for a wheat IMHO but not bad, with hindsight I think I would add 500g of wheat malt extract.
d8ab6a27bee01c48559d3524e9627289_zps430f89cc.jpg

34abb4302e720d59c63fa1bb7a337aa9_zps12be3938.jpg

Rivvo said:
I put dried orange peel in mine and coriander seeds, can taste it in the background, mine too is much darker than expected, nowhere near the photo that monte posted, but not as dark as rui's either.
Rivvo how and when did you add the extras please? Bought the kit today and some curacao peel and coriander seeds. How much should I use and do I need muslin to do it? Can't find the info anywhere. Cheers.

I added mine in a muslin bag in primary, however it may have been better to boil them up with some water for 15 minutes or so and then add as part of the initial water for the kit then you don't need the bag and just pass it through a sieve.
Oh yeah and you need to crack the coriander seeds.

Reasonably, to be honest without it the kit would be nothing like a wheat beer at all, it's too dark, no cloudiness etc, perhaps I didn't make it properly ;)

Ok thanks again for that. Getting it on the way now with 15g of each boiled for ten minutes then I'll mix that water with candi sugar and add to wort. It's not to my taste anyway. Hope the Mrs likes it. Going to brew short to 14 litres.

I'm about to brew this and I'm thinking of putting some coriander and orange peel in there.

I've got some peel from a marmalade kit and while it's not curacao I think it might be alright.

Latest posts

Back