American IRA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I know its very early on but the Simcoe certainly seems to be working well so far, will you use the admiral for late additions as well? I have only used this for bittering so far but have heard it can be dual purpose

Dunno yet. Needs some thought. Maybe, to test it out in this beer.

http://www.morebeer.com/articles/homebrew_beer_hops

From the high bitterness described, not so sure about it being dual purpose...

It's mainly a bittering hop but people do use it for aroma as well, Similar to Target in that respect. It won't compare to Chinook, Columbus and Simcoe, but might make a good beer in its own right. I may opt to boost the aroma with First Gold, Challenger or another aroma/dual purpose hop.

Couldn't resist a sneaky test after a week or so in the bottle and wow if its going to get better than this I am looking at possibly the best beer I have made so far! The hop combo (simcoe and nugget) is great as you predicted and it reminds me a bit of brewdog 5am Red but better. If you enjoy malty hoppy tasty beeriness make this recipe people!!!

Can I ask whats the difference between crystal 120 and 40? my local store just has crystal?
also ive leftovers of simcoe and citra from an IPA, Do you think they'd be a good combo?
After all these reviews who's not going to have a go at this one??!!

Can I ask whats the difference between crystal 120 and 40? my local store just has crystal?
also ive leftovers of simcoe and citra from an IPA, Do you think they'd be a good combo?

Its different colours of crystal - 120 is darker than 40

Don't see why simcoe & citra wouldn't work
:cheers:

Also the taste will be different. One will be more caramelly (40) whilst the other will be more toffee (120) like

I find the darker crystals impart a pretty strong flavour and only use small amounts

American IRA (India Red Ale!)
This a maltyIPA with high-ish bitterness - you could stretch the IBUs to 60 if you like plenty of bitterness. You could also raise the OG to 1055 or 1060.
Columbus/Zeus is a good hop for this - but so are Simcoe, Chinook, Bravo, Apollo, Centennial, Cluster - bittering hops from the USA that will cut through the crystal malt. Admiral might work well, as an English alternative. You could also blend two or three of these hops, and perhaps chuck in some Amarillo late, if you fancy that.

Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 17.6
Bitterness (IBU): 52.4

Grain Bill
----------------
1.600 kg Maris Otter Malt (74.25%)
0.230 kg Wheat Malt (10.67%)
0.100 kg Crystal 120 (4.64%)
0.100 kg Crystal 40 (4.64%)
0.100 kg Crystal Rye (4.64%)
0.025 kg Roasted Barley (1.16%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Columbus Leaf (17.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
10.0 g Columbus Leaf (17.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
15.0 g Columbus Leaf (17.1% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.5 g/L)

Mash at 67�C for 75 Minutes.
Ferment at 18-20�C with Safale US-05

Ok so I'm brewing this one on the weekend, quick question am I adding the dry hop at flame out and then removing when pitching the yeast? Or dose it stay in the fv for the fermentation?
Cheers
John

Ok so I'm brewing this one on the weekend, quick question am I adding the dry hop at flame out and then removing when pitching the yeast? Or dose it stay in the fv for the fermentation?
Cheers
John

This looks like another typo to me.....I thought the done thing was to add the dry hops near the end of the fermentation period (say with 4-5 days to go)

This looks like another typo to me.....I thought the done thing was to add the dry hops near the end of the fermentation period (say with 4-5 days to go)

Just this minute sprinkled the yeast in.
Wasn't sure what to do so I added the last addition at below 80 then chucked it all in the FV at 22.
Smells great so I'm sure it will be lovely and ive the next few days to mule over maybe a little dry hop in a few days.
John

Back