Mangrove Jack's M03 Brown ale yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyBunny

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this yeast? I'm brewing a porter, which I prefer to be a bit on the drier side, but this yeast is described as medium attenuating. (Lesson: read all the paperwork before pitching!).

The manufacturers say 'it will stop short of the higher attenuative yeast strains giving a heavier fuller bodied beer'. Any experience on how 'short' it stops?

Cheers!

Does anyone have experience with this yeast? I'm brewing a porter, which I prefer to be a bit on the drier side, but this yeast is described as medium attenuating. (Lesson: read all the paperwork before pitching!).

The manufacturers say 'it will stop short of the higher attenuative yeast strains giving a heavier fuller bodied beer'. Any experience on how 'short' it stops?

Cheers!

Yup, just used one of these to make a chocolate brown ale. Started at 1054 and finished at 1012 in about 5-6 days. Warm conditioned for a day or so and chilled then bottles about a week ago. Carbonated for 4 days and now clear as a bell!
Nice smooth chocolate tasting brown ale (based on recipe of Clibbit on Jim's with Chocolate wheat and special B substitutions)

PS I took a small sample of the wort/yeast (5 00ml) and force fermented it at 28°C or so for 3 days and this finally stopped at 1012 so I knew that would be my end point for the main brew.
Good to do if you are not sure where it will stop!

Last edited:

Cheers!

I've used it too. geetee did well with 77% attenuation. I was expecting attenutation of about 65% from what I'd read so added 10% golden syrup to the bitter I made with M03 to dry it out a nit more and got 71% attenuation. Tasted great.

I've used it too. geetee did well with 77% attenuation. I was expecting attenutation of about 65% from what I'd read so added 10% golden syrup to the bitter I made with M03 to dry it out a nit more and got 71% attenuation. Tasted great.

Yes, from a previous posting of yours I was expecting it to stop at 1015 - 16 but it kept going!

Hi both - Thanks for the info; especially the incubation tip! It's gone from 1.050 to 1.020 in five days. If it drops to 1.012, I'll be well happy.

I've had around 70% attenuation With Mangrove Jacks M20 and M21, both described as having medium attenuation (70-75%).

No complaints flavour wise, just a little slow with the last 3-5 gravity points on both occasions.

Back