El Cheapo the Boiler blew today!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The socket is fitted to the element in a similar manner to that of a kettle. (i.e. two prongs of the element slot into the two pins of the plug.)

The element on the steamer already had a grooved rubber seal that fitted the hole I had already made for the old kettle element. It sealed just fine despite the slightly curved surface of the FV.

However, I did use my usual "belt and braces" system by backing up the seal with epoxy on both the inside and outside of the seal. (At the moment, all I use El Cheapo for is to heat up my strike water and sparge water.)

The tap on the bottom of the boiler is one of these ...

http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/fermenter-lever-tap-and-back-nut-for-wine-beer

... it's not leaked in two years of service as a boiler. :thumb:

Home-made Mash Tun from a 32 litre CoolBox.

Modified and jacketed 32 litre boiler.

Home-made cooler.

Modified larder fridge.

FV's with jacket, to be used on a Heat Pad if no room in fridge.

Etc. (It's the "etcetera" that freaks out SWMBO!) :whistle:

Seriously, I just love making something from nothing and spend hours in the garage just tinkering with things. :thumb:

Mash Tun.jpg

Boiler Jacket1.jpg

New Cooler 2.jpg

Exercise Mat2.jpg

Brew Fridge.jpg

Looks good! I take it the copper thing in the tun is the hop strainer and screws onto the tap..? Do you just manually measure the strike/sparge temps and switch off when you reach it?

Cheers

Clint

The pipes are leaning against the side of the Mash Tun to show the holes that filter the grains. For most brews I only have to later (recirculate) about 6 to 8 litres of wort before it starts to run clear and I can start the sparging. The position of the holes means that I only have less than a litre of dead space when the Tun is empty.

If it's the copper piping in the Boiler then what you are seeing is the reflection of the Cooler shown below. I put my hops in via a Hop Dropper (also home-made and also after seeing one on the Forum) and a bag so I don't need to filter out the hops.

As you surmised, I don't bother controlling the temperature of the Strike or Sparge water; just switch it off when it gets there. :thumb:

New Cooler 1.jpg

Hop Dropper.jpg

Only used it once so far and "No", despite the fact that I use a gas ring!

If you notice, the insulation is fairly high up the side of the boiler and with it being so wide the flame of the burner is contained beneath the bottom of the boiler.

Boiler Jacket1.jpg

Right got it. I'm looking at the options..except for gas I think I'm getting a few ideas that would work for me.
...what make is your tumble dryer?
Only joking!

Cheers

Clint

The new element on El Cheapo gave me a scare today ... :whistle:

... when I plugged it into a live socket with no water in the FV! :doh:

I realised what I had done and snatched the plug out about two seconds before the smell of hot element wafted out of El Cheapo in protest.

All kinds of lucky in that my stupidity doesn't seem to have affected the element or the seal on El Cheapo because it did sterling service heating up today's Strike and Sparge Water.

I now have a thick red line drawn around the bottom of the FV with all kinds of warnings written along it so here's hoping that I never repeat the stupidity. :thumb:

Hi Dutto love your setup. On your boiler output i noticed you had a plastic garden hose type quick connect which i was thinking of using but was unsure of temp rating. Do you have problems with near boiling temp going through this. Also what type of insulation have you got wrapped around your boiler? Sorry for so many questions but want to get everything correct and in place before i start my first AG brew.
Peter

Hi Dutto love your setup. On your boiler output i noticed you had a plastic garden hose type quick connect which i was thinking of using but was unsure of temp rating. Do you have problems with near boiling temp going through this. Also what type of insulation have you got wrapped around your boiler? Sorry for so many questions but want to get everything correct and in place before i start my first AG brew.
Peter

Many thanks for the compliments. :thumb:

I don't know how the quick connect fitting performs at high temperatures because, by the time I use the tap at the bottom of the boiler, the wort has been cooled.

The insulation is a cheap exercise mat from Lidl. It was bought for the sole purpose of insulating an FV and the boiler; as opposed to me lying on it like a beached whale for the purposes of exercise!! :mrgreen:

Even after years of brewing I still "tinker" with the gear so my advice for your first AG brew is to just go for it.

The more you think "That's perfect." the greater will be your disappointment when you find out that it isn't!

BTW, I hope you have got a mop! :whistle:

Latest posts

Back