Campden Tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_Bob

Reaction score
Can I just double check that I can use campden tablets to condition tap water prior to using it in a brew ?

Instructions on pot say to use them after fermentation has completed.

Many thanks.

The idea of using campden tablets to condition your tap water before a brew is that its supposed to remove chloramine. Some people treat the water 24 hours before they use it so that the chloramine breakdown products are fully dissipated, others just add one half tablet at the beginning of the brew.
My tap water is fine to drink and doesn't smell of anything and when I tried the campden tablet treatment it made no difference whatsoever so I don't bother any more. Yours might be the same but if it smells of chlorine it might be worth a go.

The idea of using campden tablets to condition your tap water before a brew is that its supposed to remove chloramine. Some people treat the water 24 hours before they use it so that the chloramine breakdown products are fully dissipated, others just add one half tablet at the beginning of the brew.
My tap water is fine to drink and doesn't smell of anything and when I tried the campden tablet treatment it made no difference whatsoever so I don't bother any more. Yours might be the same but if it smells of chlorine it might be worth a go.

Some sound advice. For some people it's not worth it. You water may have chlorine but very little or no chloramine. In which case treatment may not be necessary. Chlorine is more volatile and can be removed by heating alone.

If you check your local water authority webpage they may have a water quality report for your area, detailing it's composition.

Thanks guys for your helpful responses.

The water supply here doesn't taste funny or smell of chlorine here, it is however a hard water area.

If the campden tablet only removes the chlorine as you say I may as well skip it.

Many thanks.

I've always used half a tablet in 20L. I understand that the chemical reaction (removing the chloromides) happens instantly on adding the crushed tablet.

I leave my two water cooler bottles (18l each) in my study for a few days to get them up to room temp. Save time and electricity on brew day.

I use 2l bottles which after I use to top up my extract brew, I sterelize then put in a quart of a Campden tab then fill up with clean fresh water.
It seems to work for me as my tap water is very hard

Latest posts

Back