Fridge thermostat bypass

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exo88

Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry if this question has already been asked a million times, but I would like to by pass the thermostat of my fridge to achieve lager temperatures (the minimum that I can get is 4°C) and I can't figure out which wires to cut. The fridge will then be controlled by an Inkbird 308.
I've labelled the wires in the photo, which ones do I need to connect to bypass the thermostat?
A I think is the temperature probe. The black wires B and D are connected togheter to the thermostat. D and E are connected to the light.
Thank you very much and sorry if it's a stupid question :)

Giacomo

thermostat.jpg

If you just bypass/disconnect the thermostat how do you plan to control the temperature and what temp are you aiming for? A STC is the common solution and it's what I use but for all that domestic fridges are not designed to hold 25 litres at about 0°C it's not good for them. When I lager at zero I use a STC controlled freezer not my precious fermentation fridge.

good luck aamcle

I may have a free under counter freezer coming soon...would this be suitable for cold crashing?

Cheers

Clint

Yup with a bit of temp control it would be perfect. Although I've found around 2-4 degrees is usually good enough for just cold crashing the yeast of so suspension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi guys, sorry if this question has already been asked a million times, but I would like to by pass the thermostat of my fridge to achieve lager temperatures (the minimum that I can get is 4°C) and I can't figure out which wires to cut. The fridge will then be controlled by an Inkbird 308.

I've labelled the wires in the photo, which ones do I need to connect to bypass the thermostat?

A I think is the temperature probe. The black wires B and D are connected togheter to the thermostat. D and E are connected to the light.

Thank you very much and sorry if it's a stupid question :)

Giacomo

thermostat.jpg

Without a wiring diagram (there is usually one on the fridge somewhere) I'm not inclined to suggest anything other than leave alone as you are playing with 220v there and you could hurt yourself.

Worst case then dismantle the temp adjustment knob on the fridge and disconnect the dial or the probe itself as that will just tell the fridge it's under temperature all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So...set it up with an inkbird set to say 3 degrees and that's it?
I got wind of the freebie the other day,works perfectly just looks a bit tatty was thinking of having it set up permanently as cold crash. Or could it be used alternate with conditioning?
Sorry for hijack!

Cheers

Clint

Without a wiring diagram (there is usually one on the fridge somewhere) I'm not inclined to suggest anything other than leave alone as you are playing with 220v there and you could hurt yourself.

Worst case then dismantle the temp adjustment knob on the fridge and disconnect the dial or the probe itself as that will just tell the fridge it's under temperature all the time.

I've found the diagram :D

20170214_224025-2.jpg

So...set it up with an inkbird set to say 3 degrees and that's it?
I got wind of the freebie the other day,works perfectly just looks a bit tatty was thinking of having it set up permanently as cold crash. Or could it be used alternate with conditioning?
Hi!
I've only just seen your post. I would have thought it would work well as a fermentation chamber - there seems to be lots of people in the US use them for that purpose. The advantage over a fridge is cold crashing down to almost 0°C, as well as the opportunity to lager at very cool temperatures.
You lucky dog!

I moved my fridge away from the wall and its now icing up. Good news. I can fit 2 standard FV's in here and 2 cornies so i can leave it at 0c cold crash and serve lagers.
Hi
just be careful if you are serving lagers very cold as the water content can freeze and concentrate the alcohol (freeze distillation). I accidentally did this when my thermostat in my fridge stuck and served the missus 3 pints and she was *&£$*$!£. The next day I open the cornie and found loads of ice in it so it had concentrated the alcohol. Be warned!!!

Hi
just be careful if you are serving lagers very cold as the water content can freeze and concentrate the alcohol (freeze distillation). I accidentally did this when my thermostat in my fridge stuck and served the missus 3 pints and she was *&£$*$!£. The next day I open the cornie and found loads of ice in it so it had concentrated the alcohol. Be warned!!!

Good point. Had a few partly frozen beers when i have cold crashed. I have just realised the fridge only got so cold because i left the door open. Still need to bypass the thermostat.

Hi!
I've only just seen your post. I would have thought it would work well as a fermentation chamber - there seems to be lots of people in the US use them for that purpose. The advantage over a fridge is cold crashing down to almost 0°C, as well as the opportunity to lager at very cool temperatures.
You lucky dog!

Here are some photos of my thermostat. I am presuming i connect the brown and black wires to bypass it? Cant see how you would do it any other way but i thought best to check.
008.JPG
009.JPG

That looks like my brew fridge. Yes, connect the blue and brown together. That's what I did and nothing went bang when I switched it on!

Back