Noob question: My first brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first brew was with one of those Home Brew Depot kits, a bare minimum of equipment and no idea what I was doing. :wha: Mine also stopped bubbling after a couple of days and I though it was going to be a disaster. Turned out OK though. Not great but not too bad either.

Definitely stick with it, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised with the result. Next time you brew you'll have a better idea of works and what doesn't and your brews will improve as you go along. Before you know it you'll be surrounded by brewing equipment and empty bottles but you'll have some brilliant beer to show for it
:lol:

I'm in the 'check gravity' camp. Since it's in a demijohn, you could probably dangle your hydrometer, (clean & sterile), on a length of cotton into the brew without syphoning any off. If it's 1010 or less it's probably finished.

again thanks to someone else for converting the old money temps, 27C is the sort of temperature that yeast will race along in, unfortunately they can also impart ester and fussell flavors to the brew with higher temperatures.

Each strain of yeast will have its own optimum fermentation temperature range,
As a general rule of thumb its best to ferment at the lower end of the temperature range suggested for the yeast used.

At 1.026 there's still some way to go.
Is it clearing or worse clear? If so then it may have stuck.
If not then its still working.
I would leave it until Sunday then take another reading.
In the meantime, if you have a Wilko near you go and buy a packet of their ale yeast.
If SG not gone down on Sun you have a stuck fermentation, but pitching with fresh yeast with some sugar left in the brew should get it going again.
If SG still going down and cloudy on Sunday then just leave it alone.

At 1.026 there's still some way to go.
Is it clearing or worse clear? If so then it may have stuck.
If not then its still working.
I would leave it until Sunday then take another reading.
In the meantime, if you have a Wilko near you go and buy a packet of their ale yeast.
If SG not gone down on Sun you have a stuck fermentation, but pitching with fresh yeast with some sugar left in the brew should get it going again.
If SG still going down and cloudy on Sunday then just leave it alone.

According to the instructions I've got another 4 days anyway. I will see if there is any movement by Sunday.

I've ordered some ale yeast just in case.

kit instructions are always extremely optimistic when it comes to the time periods they suggest.

Its part of the advertising to put optimistic timescales on the label as it is encouraging information and is more inclined to inspire a purchase than a sentence suggesting it could be a month or 2 before a brew is at its best ;)

its a live process and its living creatures (yeast) that do all the brewing for us, all we do is give them the best conditions and ingredients we can. and as such it takes how ever long it takes,,
a very general rule of thumb is 2 weeks in the bucket (FV) 2 weeks in the bottle or keg to condition (gain fizz) and the a week for every 10 gravity points of the original gravity to mature,
so 4-5 weeks for a brew with a 1.040-1.050 OG ;)
However its all about personal taste and preference at the end of the day ;)

Haha.... I'll let you know where to send it

Took another reading on Sunday and it has gone to 1.020 and it looks like a yeast cake has started to form on the top now....

Looks like I just didn't give it enough time! I'll take another reading next weekend.

Hello pal,
Been reading your progress.
Seems like the members were here to rally u on..only thing I'd say now (once you've calmed down lol, happened to us all!) at least at the early stage you have learnt and don't do the same mistake.
It was jus a small batch (thank god)
But doesn't mean to say that a small batch is any harder, but the fundermenals are the same.
Temp control is the key..patients and as long as you've got the stages right there nowt to worry about!
Do you make notes of your progress? I have to (learning difficulties due to illness,) after 30+ years nowt wrong at making notes.
Reflecting back on what you've learnt, hope your not put off!
Hope your ready to jump back on the saddle.
We all mistakes, so more than others...ME!
Just enjoy it and you've come to the right place for help!
Mind don't understand why you faffing on with the temps F and not C.. that can make probs (if your UK based) mind..I still struggle on USA to U.K. Measurement and weights.
Good luck pal.

Hello pal,
Seems like the members were here to rally u on..only thing I'd say now (once you've calmed down lol, happened to us all!) at least at the early stage you have learnt and don't do the same mistake.
But doesn't mean to say that a small batch is any harder, but the fundermenals are the same.
Temp control is the key..patients and as long as you've got the stages right there nowt to worry about!
Do you make notes of your progress? I have to (learning difficulties due to illness,) after 30+ years nowt wrong at making notes.
Mind don't understand why you faffing on with the temps F and not C.. that can make probs (if your UK based) mind..I still struggle on USA to U.K. Measurement and weights.
Good luck pal.

Thanks... I will see this one out and hopefully have something drinkable!

Im already looking forward to what I can make next!

Hello pal,
Good luck pal.

Thanks... I will see this one out and hopefully have something drinkable!

Im already looking forward to what I can make next!

That scum line looks like where the Krauzen was and has fallen. Best thing to do is take a sample and get a hydrometer reading. But high temperatures really speed up yeast activity. Unfortunately, it can increase the amount of esters and higher alcohols produced. If you pitched an entire sachet of yeast into a 1 gallon batch at higher room temperatures it probably fermented out very quickly. If you look very closely you may still see tiny stirrings in the beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That scum line looks like where the Krauzen was and has fallen. Best thing to do is take a sample and get a hydrometer reading. But high temperatures really speed up yeast activity. Unfortunately, it can increase the amount of esters and higher alcohols produced. If you pitched an entire sachet of yeast into a 1 gallon batch at higher room temperatures it probably fermented out very quickly. If you look very closely you may still see tiny stirrings in the beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So do you think I should bottle it at this gravity?

Ok I'll step in.
You said a kit but all grain kit?
What temp did you mash at? That makes a big difference. But 1.020 isn't end of the world. Just a bit sweet.

Ok I'll step in.
You said a kit but all grain kit?
What temp did you mash at? That makes a big difference. But 1.020 isn't end of the world. Just a bit sweet.

Yeah all grain.

Mashed at about 65-68ish it did go a bit higher at one point though... maybe into the 70s

Yeah all grain.

Mashed at about 65-68ish it did go a bit higher at one point though... maybe into the 70s

Ok. That's probably those extra points. When you hit 67 and up to 70, you start using alpha amylase. These enzymes will produce unfermentable sugars. 64 to 67 uses beta amylase that produce very fermentable sugar. That gives you dry beer. But staying at 68, you get a mix of both giving your beer body.

Back