Flavouring beer?.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie93

Reaction score
I'm making my first batch of IPA from scratch one the ingredients have arrived. I would like to add some flavour. What would work well? And how do you do it? Thank

What sort of flavour are you after? Fruit, spices, herbs, spirits, wood, smoke, honey?

If it's your first brew then I'd suggest skipping the flavourings personally. Adding things like fruit can be a tricky or risky thing to do, and you'll have plenty to think about already for your first brew.

Since it's an IPA, you can get lots of fruity flavours from hops, particularly US or NZ hops like galaxy, Citra, cascade, amarillo, simcoe. You can get a lot of tropical, citrusy flavours from them.

If it's your first brew then I'd suggest skipping the flavourings personally. Adding things like fruit can be a tricky or risky thing to do, and you'll have plenty to think about already for your first brew.

Since it's an IPA, you can get lots of fruity flavours from hops, particularly US or NZ hops like galaxy, Citra, cascade, amarillo, simcoe. You can get a lot of tropical, citrusy flavours from them.
Are there flavoured concentrates that could be added to conventional beers?

As a fan of Belgian fruit flavoured beers I have brewed a Brewferm Kriek, which is quite nice, and also a Bulldog Strawberry Pale Ale, which is excellent in my opinion. I have a couple of standard non-fruity Belgian beer kits that have been bought for me and I am hoping I could flavour them in some way to add a fruity character. Any suggestions, or is there nothing out there that would do the job?

I have tried adding rassperrys into the fermenter whith some success, not sweet enough though.
Ive also tried adding cherrys from a can trying to create something Belgium but again didnt have the sweetness that i like in a belgium beer.
I have heard some of the belgium beer have a syrup added to the sour kriek to get that nice sweet and sour taste.
Im pretty sure they add syrups to the mongoose fruit beers to, coconut for sure.
I have thought about attempting a kriek but havent got a couple of years to wait :smile:.
I am of to brugge this week so will just load up the car with some crates

Latest posts

Back