Cool Box Mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FelixFire

Reaction score
Hi There, i am planning on making an all grain brew system at home, who uses a cool box there they pour the hot water in first then add the grain and mix? Does anyone use one bucket inside another? the inside one with holes in and the bottom on with a tap in then let the water filter through the grain?

Thanks

mmm i would think that it would be harder and need insulating well to keep the mash temp up
the cooler box is a better idea in my opinion as they are already designed to keep temperature

I use an igloo coolbox, about 45 quid on ebay, really easy to fit a manifold to and they hold temp without any real mods.

They are the daddy, 2 buckets and some spray foam will cost you 30quid ish so why bother go the coolbox route.

UP

Ah right iv got it, still im 50/50, just the two bucket method seems alot easier, can you buy false bottoms for the cool box?

Hi Felixfire,
i used to use the two bucket method (lauter tun?) but found that i was getting too much dead space under the perforated bottomed bucket. It took about 4litres to get the liqour level up to the point where it touched the grains!!
i changed to the coolbox route - much less waste and, i think, a better mash

tim

If you cut the bottom from the inner bucket leaving about 1" of the sides attached it fits much closer to the bottom, reducing the dead space

my idea using a old FV was to drill a hole as close to the bottom as possible then fit a half turn ball valve make grain filter using some 22mm copper pipe driled just push the fittings together then crimp them in a vice so they dont slip apart but can be dismantled to clean then simply insulate with hot water jacket mine works great only loses 1 or 2 dgrees over 90 min

Back