insulation /keeping it warm

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
With the summer heat and woes of keeping a brew cool long behind us the opposite is now here...keeping it warm or at temp..for those without a fermentation fridge,that is!
My fv's sit in a quiet (ha!) Corner of my kitchen...the temp strips on the side hover around 18°c. Ambient temp in the same position reads roughly the same. I have two brews sitting there a coopers stout and a Youngs AIPA. The stout seemed all done in 5-6 days and fg is 1010, I have just taken the blow off tube off the AIPA and replaced with an airlock due to a sudden lack of activity after 12 days of constant bubbling. It's fg at the moment is 1016, the airlock has resumed the bubbling at once per second so it's not over just yet.
I'm wondering at 18°c am I nearing the low end of temps to where fermentation will be affected?
I'm thinking of making a thermal jacket to cover the fv. Can anyone recommend a material for this? I'm thinking of a foil backed foam insulation that can be easily cut and stuck together but can't find anything yet. This would be combined with a heating belt or pad and controlled with an inkbird. On the subject of inkbird....I know it can be set to control a heating and chilling device at the same time as in a brew fridge but can it be set to control two heating devices as in two belt heaters?

Cheers

Clint

I'm wondering at 18°c am I nearing the low end of temps to where fermentation will be affected?
Popular opinion seems to have it that 18*C is the normal lower limit for ale yeasts. Lower and you might have to use more yeast, and/or the fermentation is slower.
That said my water bath in the garage is set at 19*C and can drift down down to 18.5*C when its really cold in there, but it doesn't seem to make much difference, so I would have thought the extra 0.5*C to 18*C would also hardly be noticed tbh.

Latest posts

Back