Second hand fridge, be warned!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just a wee heads up for anyone looking to build a brew fridge.

So story goes, we have an old under counter fridge which I moved over my man shed/garage! finally get an Inkbird and get it set up. At the same time I also found another undercounter fridge on free-cycle that I was going to use for storing beer in i.e use as a fridge.

Anyway after getting the first brew in the brew fridge and popping some Turbo Cider in the fridge to chill i thought I was set. so the fridge I picked up free from free-cycle must have a fault. all the TC froze!! popped all the lids etc and now have a right wasted batch. :doh:

Hence please check kit that you pick up second hand!!

Up side is I can swap them over and use the one that can freeze as the brew fridge and know I can get the temps down to lager when the time comes.:thumb:

I'm afraid it sounds like you might've caused it your self by accident. If you put a LOT in there in one go, the fridge needs to work way to hard. This causes it to pump in freezing temps as it's simply way to much mass.

It's better to set it up, let it acclimatize and add a couple of bottles every few hours or so. Pre cooling outside would also work great.

I'm afraid it sounds like you might've caused it your self by accident. If you put a LOT in there in one go, the fridge needs to work way to hard. This causes it to pump in freezing temps as it's simply way to much mass.

It's better to set it up, let it acclimatize and add a couple of bottles every few hours or so. Pre cooling outside would also work great.

To be fair only popped 8 litres in and they were chilled prior by the known fridge. but anyway all's well and all that.

Get the frozen stuff, run off the liquid until the remaining ice is clear, chuck the ice and rebottle what's left. Freeze concentrated cider, that's what you've made.

Wasted my eye!

Get the frozen stuff, run off the liquid until the remaining ice is clear, chuck the ice and rebottle what's left. Freeze concentrated cider, that's what you've made.

Wasted my eye!

Hate to think what the ABV will be there:grin:

Wasted my eye!

now this is a bloody good idea !

It sure is.
This process of freeze 'distillation' produces Applejack.
Its been done for centuries - and was a sneaky way to circumvent distillation laws by claiming that a cask of cider was accidentally left out over the winter :whistle:
With the ice periodically removed,the ABV increases.

Latest posts

Back