Aquarium heater in a secondary bath.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks BeerCat, I've just ordered the 14W heatpad. It will allow me to ferment in the garage, which will keep the wife happy!
Would I still need to insulate my FV ? (I currently use a length cut from a roll of loft insulation wrapped around the vessel)

Yeah i think the Inkbird is a good buy (dont forget the dicount codes) but i already had the STC and wanted cheap as possible.
At the moment i only have the 14w and 7w mats. The ones with thermostats on have not arrived yet. Not even sure i need em but they were cheap and i wanted to buy something.

Today i swapped the 14w mat for the 7w and my temps have stayed the same. This wheat beer is going nuts though so probably generating lots of heat. I should move it to a colder room.

Thanks Beercat,
My inkbird is on order and I'm just about to order the mat you have. I'm assuming the 11" x 11" size is big enough?
Also do you know how to attatch the probe from the inkbird? I would have thought having it in the liquid would be best but looking on the forums, people just tape them to the side of the fv??? This seems a little odd to me but maybe good enough!?
Thanks again,
Gaz

i use a aquarium heater direct into my bucket, then wash after use, and sterilize before next use. dont have no problems.

Thanks Beercat,
My inkbird is on order and I'm just about to order the mat you have. I'm assuming the 11" x 11" size is big enough?
Also do you know how to attatch the probe from the inkbird? I would have thought having it in the liquid would be best but looking on the forums, people just tape them to the side of the fv??? This seems a little odd to me but maybe good enough!?
Thanks again,
Gaz

I think the 11x11 14w is perfect for the room i have although the 7w also works. Yeah it seemed odd to me but i did the same as everybody else. Cover the probe with bubble wrap and selotape on the side. I checked the reading was the same as the stick on thermometer. Not calibrated the STC or anything.

I think the 11x11 14w is perfect for the room i have although the 7w also works. Yeah it seemed odd to me but i did the same as everybody else. Cover the probe with bubble wrap and selotape on the side. I checked the reading was the same as the stick on thermometer. Not calibrated the STC or anything.

I know a lot of people tend to keep their fv in the shed/garage etc using a brewing fridge etc but what do you do when it comes to carbonating after bottling? Bring them all back inside into the warm? My mrs wouldn't be happy with a stack of bottles spread over the house!

Yep , sounds about right. I've got the luxury of a **** cellar for fermenting but come bottling , it's 3 or 4 crates up in the spare room /office , rapped in a duvet next to to combi boiler cupboard. Suppose the spare is a bit of a dumping ground anyway and they're not sitting in the kitchen/ front room being tutted at.

I have crates in various cupboards and 3 in the airing cupboard and some in the bedroom.If you had to condition outside couldnt you get a tent and a tiny heater. I have about 25 crates to find space for. Far from ideal.

Thanks mate,
So general inside "home temperature" is good enough and it doesn't need to be exposed to any directed heat as such?
Gaz

Latest posts

Back