Scaling Up After Christmas

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leemond

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been AG brewing for just under a year now, albeit on a small scale (in demijohns) thanks to the Mrs who bought me a kit (http://www.brewcraftbeer.co.uk/bright-eyed-amber-ale-109-p.asp). I have read that most people recommend the malt kits first, but due to the kit I was bought I jumped straight into AG and would like to stick to it. In terms of beer taste, I've mainly seen success. I have had one or two issues, however - almost all of which I have been able to read about since joining this forum so I am confident I could avoid them in future :thumb:

I'm therefore keen to scale up my operation after Christmas (having asked for £ as gifts from certain people :)). Although the 4-5 hours it takes me to brew is enjoyable, I would like more end product than the 8 bottles or so I am currently producing. In addition I am currently seeing wastage with ingredients that can only be bought on a much larger scale than I require.

I have a good sized kitchen so the actual brewing isn't a problem and have set aside some space in our spare 'box' bedroom so should hopefully be ok space wise. I also have power to my shed so down the line I may be able to invest in additional, temperature controlled storage.

If I was to scale up, would any of you suggest purchasing a pre-prepared kit such as this: http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Deluxe-All-Grain-Mashing-Setup.html or am I better trying to put the various components together myself?

Are there other potential issues I haven't thought of - other than the Mrs :lol:?

Thanks

Leemond.

I too have a SWMBO ... :thumb: :thumb:

... which is why I do all my brewing either outside or in the garage! :whistle: :whistle:

The problem with scaling up AG brewing in the house is the amount of boiling required and the amount of water vapour that is produced.

Water expands 1,600 times when it turns to a vapour so it will happily spread through the house if it's left unchecked so my Number One recommendation is to fit two kitchen fans - one to blow air into the kitchen and a second (and much bigger one) to take the vapour away.

The other element of increasing output is that you need to be fairly canny with your storage requirements. Here's a photograph of my garage. Not on show are the two 25 litre kegs, the five 5 litre Mini-Kegs and the 25 or so empty bottles.

Whatever you decide it very much helps if SWMBO is kept sweet so I suggest that you consult heavily before making a decision ...

... and then buy a new shed, insulate it, install electric power, install a water supply and a drain and then get yourself a Grainfather as previously discussed and agreed! :whistle: :whistle:

Shelves Full.jpg

Have a look at homebrew company and geterbrewed who do similar kit for cheaper and you get site discount

Cool thanks I've had a nosey - are the "Bucket Style" boilers ok? Some kits seem to come with proper boilers for the hob - assumably these are better in some way?

The problem with scaling up AG brewing in the house is the amount of boiling required and the amount of water vapour that is produced.

I'd not really thought about that but I imagine you're right as my kitchen steams up as things are and we already have a decent extractor fan installed. My whole house can end up with the aroma of beer and grain on brew days (not that I mind :lol:). It does frustrate my other half.

That's some storage you have there! Probably more than I have to spare currently...

Definitely food for thought for me here then... Perhaps I should just invest in some larger pots to brew enough to fill 2 demijohns at once for the time being? Just can't decide!

Cool thanks I've had a nosey - are the "Bucket Style" boilers ok? Some kits seem to come with proper boilers for the hob - assumably these are better in some way?

I'd not really thought about that but I imagine you're right as my kitchen steams up as things are and we already have a decent extractor fan installed. My whole house can end up with the aroma of beer and grain on brew days (not that I mind :lol:). It does frustrate my other half.

That's some storage you have there! Probably more than I have to spare currently...

Definitely food for thought for me here then... Perhaps I should just invest in some larger pots to brew enough to fill 2 demijohns at once for the time being? Just can't decide!

Yes I have a electric boiler, the Peco biab kit from HBC. It's a really good piece of kit and you can brew outside. I problem. If buying a 23l stainless pot to boil you need a good gas hob.

So, I've since bought this starter kit: http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/all-grain-starter-pack-for-5-gallon-batches-p-1127.html

What else might I need equipment wise? As a starter I mean.

At the moment the only space I have for the fermentation is in my box room (smallest bedroom). I've always stored my demijohns here without too many issues but am I likely to encounter problems with the full fermenting bin? My kitchen does steam up but if I open the windows and maybe door it should be large and well ventilated enough for the mashing (I hope!)

All advice appreciated! :thumb:

Can't wait to get my larger brews on! :)

Latest posts

Back