Curdled Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just made a starter using WLP007 and when I poured the pack of yeast in to my flask it seemed to be curdled and was more solid than liquid, has anyone experienced that before?

I'll get a couple of packets of gervin from wilkinson tomorrow but I'm hoping the starter will be alright.

I haven't used wlp007 before but I dont think it's curdled but just super flocctuant. From my reading Wlp007 is a more attentuative version of WLP002, and that is often described as cottage cheese like because it's so flocctuant

I've just made a starter using WLP007 and when I poured the pack of yeast in to my flask it seemed to be curdled and was more solid than liquid, has anyone experienced that before?

I'll get a couple of packets of gervin from wilkinson tomorrow but I'm hoping the starter will be alright.

What temperature was the pack? It can be quite thick when cold, part of the reason for recommending allowing to warm before use I guess. I think the PurePitch packs can separate somewhat - did you give it a good shake first?

Was it still in date? Does it smell OK?

See how the starter takes off, but might well be OK

Just a little side info on these very flocculant yeasts;

WLP002 has a got a bbit of a reputation for continuing to ferment in the bottle till you get over carbed beer. If you keg it's not a problem of course but what I found with the shepard neame strain (which is also quite flocculant but not as much as WLP002)to get it to attenuate as fully as possible is to leave it in the FV for 3 weeks. After week one and week two gently rouse the yeast then leave it alone for th last and third week. They do leave your beer very clear though

This was a starter I did of wlp002 and it went 'curdly' for a while per MQ's comments..

Resize of P1030727.jpg

The amount of yeast at the bottom of the starter is ridiculous! It dropped like a stone overnight too without even being in the fridge.

I used this recently (actually the wyeast equivalent) and noticed the exact same thing, never seen so much yeast in the starter flask! It also had the lumpy curdled look.

I used this recently (actually the wyeast equivalent) and noticed the exact same thing, never seen so much yeast in the starter flask! It also had the lumpy curdled look.

I was wrong. Mine also looks curdled and came out of the bottle on a massive clump. Not noticed that before. Its started fementing fast though.

Back