Mangrove jack's M3 ale yeast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerryjo

Still brewing though never get much time....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a great brew day on Friday with a mate from which we attained three brew's with the third from second runnings.My worry is the second brew was a partial mash in which I forgot to add the golden syrup which was our adjunct of choice.
Initial SG without was 1.042 and target was 1.065.Not thinking we boiled up 1kg,cooled and pitched.Mixed this up and settled for an hour then took another reading.
Now this is where it got scary as the FG was now 1.092 and pitched M3 yeast with a blow off tube and well called as it went crazy.Changed to airlock yesterday as it had calmed down and now I'm left wondering if the yeast if it survives what it should roughly ferment out too?
Any ideas welcome as it may turn out like a barley wine.👌

Sent from my ALE-L21

I've used M03 before. With the Golden syrup to help dry thing out a bit you'll get about 72% attentuation (that's what I got anyway) and without, about 65%attenuation. The caveat being your OG was way higher than mine which was about 1.038. So that may affect your attenuation

Hi MyQul and thanks for the reply.I hope it does not drop to far as I dont think I could handle that high of an alcohol content.Checking on the calculator if it was to drop to 1.010 it would give 10.76%ABV.With 72% it is still quite high @8.93%ABV.I have some family coming for christmas and this is definitely not a sessionable beer but should be something to be respected.Cheers.

Just transferred to secondary and checked my readings and notes.Inital OG was 1.090 and SG was 1.030 giving it 8%.Shall check again prior to bottling....
We had done 3 brew's that day and our second brew has come out at 7.5%...
Won't need a lot of beer when the family is up over Christmas.🍺

Sent from my ALE-L21

Last edited:
Can definitely say I have used too much of the golden syrup as the partial is sickly sweet and you can taste the alcohol with a slight burning sensation like a spirit.

mj sheet on it says:

Higher alcohol beers will tend to be slightly too sweet and heavy due to the moderate attenuative capabilities of the strain although a lower mash temperature may help the fermentability and lower the final gravity.

I think you may have reached the limits of the yeast. You could finish it off with something else for something less sweet but higher again. MJ's saison or belgian ale would get you down to 1005 ish :-o

mj sheet on it says:

Higher alcohol beers will tend to be slightly too sweet and heavy due to the moderate attenuative capabilities of the strain although a lower mash temperature may help the fermentability and lower the final gravity.

I think you may have reached the limits of the yeast. You could finish it off with something else for something less sweet but higher again. MJ's saison or belgian ale would get you down to 1005 ish :-o
Funnily enough I was just thinking about using another yeast but maybe doing a test batch,starting with a lager yeast and finish with an ale yeast.
The reason is at this time of year it's cold and I would like to try it as the climate maybe better suited to lager yeast.
Besides the brew has been bottled a few weeks ago and I can tell that no amount of conditioning will put it right, though the AG I had brewed tastes lovely using S04 and no golden syrup.
Just another school day as there's always a lesson to be learned.

Sent from my ALE-L21

Funnily enough I was just thinking about using another yeast but maybe doing a test batch,starting with a lager yeast and finish with an ale yeast.
The reason is at this time of year it's cold and I would like to try it as the climate maybe better suited to lager yeast.
Besides the brew has been bottled a few weeks ago and I can tell that no amount of conditioning will put it right, though the AG I had brewed tastes lovely using S04 and no golden syrup.
Just another school day as there's always a lesson to be learned.

Sent from my ALE-L21

You could always keep it to blend with a beer that's too dry, if you did say a 4% beer low amount of fermantables with a high attenuation yeast and mix a bottle of each you'd get something nicer than both in the 6% region.

You could always keep it to blend with a beer that's too dry, if you did say a 4% beer low amount of fermantables with a high attenuation yeast and mix a bottle of each you'd get something nicer than both in the 6% region.
Thanks that's something that I have not explored as of yet but would need to brew a batch to try.A very interesting tip.Told you everyday is a school day 👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

Back