Nuts in the FV for a stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godsdog

Landlord.
Reaction score
hi guys
gonna start a coopers stout off today and want to try and get a nutty flavour in the finished product,so has anyone done this,what are the best nuts to go with,do I soak them in alcohol for a few weeks,do I add just the alcohol after fermentation and not the nuts,is there a danger of a fat film on every glassful when serving?
I just want to add it to the brew as per instructions on the can label

i wonder if there would be less oils in the shells maybe add the shells after a couple of days fermentation should give a nutty secondary taste, not done this my self but very interested has will be doing a stout very soon and love a nutty creamy stout or how about nut essence added after fermentation when going into secondary to clear before bottling ?? then you can taste and adjust to your preference. I think Hazel nut would be bang on.

I opened this thread fearing the worst kind of fetish

This will not help for today but I never got a chance to try this on my small batch since it was dodgy but I hear toasting rolled porridge oats and adding them to the mash (you'd have to do a mini mash with teh kit) can give a beer a really nutty finish

I use porridge oats on IPA to add body i doubt you will get the required nutty taste by roasting then mashing, I will be adding some hazel nut essence along with a touch of Vanilla and lactose at the secondary stage of a st Peters stout to give a creamy nutty taste

I use porridge oats on IPA to add body i doubt you will get the required nutty taste by roasting then mashing, I will be adding some hazel nut essence along with a touch of Vanilla and lactose at the secondary stage of a st Peters stout to give a creamy nutty taste

I like it!
I've already adding lactose in my St. Peter's...but the vanilla n hazel nut is going to beautiful :-)

Just added 200g of lactose to a dark london porter and bottled, made up a batch of Coopers Family secret, awaiting a batch of lager to finish then going to make a very nutty creamy st peters,. Let us know how yours drinks Brian.

Just added 200g of lactose to a dark london porter and bottled, made up a batch of Coopers Family secret, awaiting a batch of lager to finish then going to make a very nutty creamy st peters,. Let us know how yours drinks Brian.

Will do my m8!
Last nite I couldn't resist the temptation of open a chill milk choc stout...great with the lactose added before bottling...but the best surprise is the small batch of the St. Peter's!! Only been bottled ova a week and the taste is unreal!! Milky, biscuity and smooth!! What a drink!! N it's not aged....
Can't wait for the next batch adding hazel nut essence and some with vanilla and hazel nut to try!
I'll shout you pal.

The 300 n 200g in various batches is a god send!! Chuffed I pm'd you lol
The vanilla n hazel nut essence is going to trial n error!! Mind how hard can I get it wrong!!! A few drops ster it! Taste! Then bet I forget how much drops are in!!
Take its slow me thinks lol
Might do 5l first! With lactose..vanilla...5l of lactose n hazel nut & 5l of lactose n vanilla/hazel nut..
Had to get my socks off to count 15l worth! Got there..
At least I'll know which one is going to my favourite and in future once I've wrote it down in my book.

Brian you can also add coffee and vanilla, just dissolve it in the boiling water with the lactose add a couple of spoons it enriches stout lovely

Latest posts

Back