Wholemeal sour dough starter.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerryjo

Still brewing though never get much time....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, looking for a bit of input/thoughts about this starter.I previously used bread yeast in a brew and I quite like it.Now my brother has been back visiting from Whitney and as promised has made a Sour dough yeast starter for me below.

I'm wondering if anyone else has used this type before as I'm going to try an Ale and shall be trying my hand at a Stout.Any info feel free to shout and possibly a pitch ratio 🍺

IMG_20170101_213048.jpg

Sourdough uses lactobacillus so you could maybe make a berliner weisse with this? Personally I don't like the sour/bitter combo you get in dark sour beers. I had a soured stout and I don't think it works at all.

You may end up with beer but it will a real shot in the dark. You are going to be fermenting it with the stuff you would usually consider as infecting your beer (wild yeast and lactic bacteria)

If I were going to do this if keep it in a separate fermentation vessel just for sour beers.

Sour beers can be great but they aren't everyone's cup of tea. Maybe try a small batch first.

You may end up with beer but it will a real shot in the dark. You are going to be fermenting it with the stuff you would usually consider as infecting your beer (wild yeast and lactic bacteria)

If I were going to do this if keep it in a separate fermentation vessel just for sour beers.

Sour beers can be great but they aren't everyone's cup of tea. Maybe try a small batch first.
Yes I am thinking of trying a 5 litre batch as I have a few 5 litre containers of spring water that I shall use so as to keep it separate from the others 👍

You are going to be fermenting it with the stuff you would usually consider as infecting your beer (wild yeast and lactic bacteria)

I too have made beer with bread yeast and I love sourdough bread as an occasional treat, but I've never tried the flavour in a beer! (Restricted myself to chillies and All Spice so far!)

I agree with the above quote but would also add that, as well as using a separate FV, I would complete the whole brew in a separate location.

Let us know how you get on. :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back