Top fermenting yeast question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willycoolj

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all, happy new year, when you have a top fermenting yeast do you just leave it in FV when kegging or bottling or do you scoop it out first, I have never used this type of yeast before so I'm clueless , I use a tap on FV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It should sink, but on the odd occasion I've had to give the FV a few slaps on the side to help it break apart into smaller clumps or it can sit there for ages.

Ok thanks, will keep an eye out for that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends upon the yeast I reckon. I only make beers using top-fermenting yeast, and I don't use dried yeasts these days. Most dried top-fermenters I've used were barely that in my experience. They did indeed flocculate and sink.
Below is a photo of one of my favourite yeasts just getting going. It's Brewlab's East Midlands 1, which they describe as moderate fermentation speed, low flocculation. It certainly is a true top-fermenter, forming a really thick, creamy yeast cap that is pretty stable - great for top-cropping for yeast re-use. For me, this is an ideal yeast to use in a FV with a tap: when the fermentation is past it's first vigorous stage you can drop the beer into a secondary, leaving most of the floating yeast behind.

Krausen.JPG

Please let me know how you get on with this, im brewing a bitter and have sprinkled wilkos gervin yeast ontop 3 days ago. Got an inch of foamy krausen but the airlock has done notginf for 2 days now.

20170102_221150.jpg

Please let me know how you get on with this, im brewing a bitter and have sprinkled wilkos gervin yeast ontop 3 days ago. Got an inch of foamy krausen but the airlock has done notginf for 2 days now.

I've never seen one of those style air locks bubble, I suspect by doesn't take much of a gap for enough co2 to escape elsewhere to stop it bubbling. I stopped using an airlock, they're a reasonable indicator but visible krausen and hydrometer readings are a much better way of seeing how fermentation is going IMO.

Latest posts

Back