When to add Roasted Barley to stout mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harto

Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the right place so mods feel free to move.
I'm planning an AG stout brew next weekend but my question is when to add the roasted barley. I've read that adding it late (at vorlauf or cold steeping) adds flavour and colour without the burnt taste but for a stout surely I want some of that? So my question is do I add at mash-in, mash-out, cold steep or something else? Thanks in advance!

I recently brewed my first stout and added all of the dark grains for the full length of the mash (90 mins). I found this gave a really black full bodied stout with a definite strong stout flavour but without any burnt taste. I used Cara 3 to try and give extra colour without making the flavour too roasty.
In fact this post spurred me into opening a bottle :). Why would you want a wibbly stout :D

If you like a bit less body and roast flavour then you can certainly cold steep (about 30mins) a proportion of the dark grains. I did this to good effect in a recent Black IPA.

for a 32 litre final volume I used the following
Pale malt - 6.5 kg
Cara 3 - 200g
Choc malt - 300g
Flaked barley - 200g
Roasted barley - 450g
Northern Brewer hops - 100g - 60mins
Tettnang - 30g - 15mins
Irish moss 5g - 15mins
yeast - SO4

here's my brew it was my first AG but blimey well chuffed I mashed all together I will do a 90 min mash this time, I have let others try it to gain feedback and they tried to sup the lot, i had no negative feedback it did have a nice roast flavour with hint of licorice after tone it had a nice bitter taste at the end for my pallet it is perfect, I want to adjust a few things just to see how it changes the taste for my curiosity, good luck with your brew, my only criticism is the head retention wasn't great I under primed i think but maybe others could have input to that atb wayne

2.8kg Maris otter
200g crystal
200g chocolate malt
200g flaked oats
250g roasted barley
25g challenger 60min boil
60mins mash
10 ltr mash
11 litre sparge
I needed just over 90 mins to boil off to get the correct values and litres all went really well and bubbling away nicely with craft series mo3 yeast

Putting your roasted grains in the mash will give a nice vigourous roasty flavour. I've read cold steeping them makes the roasty flavour of stouts more mellow. I make a lot of dark beers and enjoy a good agressive roasty flavourso I've never bothered trying cold steeping. I also like strong coffee which I find some definate similarities to beers with a lot of choccy/roast barley/black malt in. If you find the stout you've made is too roasty or your tastes just give it a good long conditioning (6 weeks - 2months) and the roasty flavours mellow out

I recently brewed my first stout and added all of the dark grains for the full length of the mash (90 mins). I found this gave a really black full bodied stout with a definite strong stout flavour but without any burnt taste. I used Cara 3 to try and give extra colour without making the flavour too roasty.
In fact this post spurred me into opening a bottle :). Why would you want a wibbly stout :D

If you like a bit less body and roast flavour then you can certainly cold steep (about 30mins) a proportion of the dark grains. I did this to good effect in a recent Black IPA.

for a 32 litre final volume I used the following
Pale malt - 6.5 kg
Cara 3 - 200g
Choc malt - 300g
Flaked barley - 200g
Roasted barley - 450g
Northern Brewer hops - 100g - 60mins
Tettnang - 30g - 15mins
Irish moss 5g - 15mins
yeast - SO4

Really great of u putting the recipe on here mate. I can only do small batches but I'll do the calculations for a 9 litre batch.
Tettnang is a new one for me.

Cheers

Putting your roasted grains in the mash will give a nice vigourous roasty flavour. I've read cold steeping them makes the roasty flavour of stouts more mellow. I make a lot of dark beers and enjoy a good agressive roasty flavourso I've never bothered trying cold steeping. I also like strong coffee which I find some definate similarities to beers with a lot of choccy/roast barley/black malt in. If you find the stout you've made is too roasty or your tastes just give it a good long conditioning (6 weeks - 2months) and the roasty flavours mellow out

I'd go along with two months too. I've over done RM a couple of times now and the longer left the better, if you'd over shot with the amount used.

Not sure if this is in the right place so mods feel free to move.
I'm planning an AG stout brew next weekend but my question is when to add the roasted barley. I've read that adding it late (at vorlauf or cold steeping) adds flavour and colour without the burnt taste but for a stout surely I want some of that? So my question is do I add at mash-in, mash-out, cold steep or something else? Thanks in advance!

I added the Roasted Barley with all the other grains and did an all in one mash at 65 degrees for an hour for my Ris-ky business.... the extract and sugars were done separately. You get a lovely burnt roasty, toasty flavour.

Malt & Sugar:
2kg very dark dme
2kg medium dme
500g wme
250g dark candi sugar

Grains:
250g choc
250g carafa special III
250g roasted barley
500g dark crystal

http://brulosophy.com/2016/05/30/roasted-grains-pt-2-roasted-barley-vs-black-patent-malt-exbeeriment-results/

I thought this was interesting. I'm yet to use black malt

Back