BrewDog Punk IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyboy1965

Landlord.
Reaction score
Whilst replying to another thread, its just hit me like the proverbial "tonne of bricks". The missing ingredient is ...pink grapefruit zest.
These are not the ramblings of a lunatic (my wife confirms and she doesnt even like beer)

Long story short...went on a tour of Cotswold Distillery a few months ago, to try their award winning Gin (Best Dry Gin 2016) and bought a bottle.
Tonight I had a bottle of Brewdogs Punk IPA, and it smells and tastes exactly the same. Now, I know Cotswold Distillery use ****loads of pink grapefruit zest as a flavour in their gin.
Your welcome.

I think it's the fact brewdog published the recipe and it didn't include grapefruit which has drawn Leon to his conclusion.

This. I think it's the combination of the hops rather than actual fruit. However, it could be that they don't mention it deliberately.

I know its expensive (£38.00) per bottle for the Cotswold Gin, but try side by side with a Punk IPA its exactly the same, even the aroma. Im not saying that they do or dont use pink grapefruit and it probably is their combination of hops, but the two drinks are nearly identical in flavour and aroma. Dont believe some of the recipes that BrewDog have supplied, some are just wrong.

I know its expensive (�£38.00) per bottle for the Cotswold Gin, but try side by side with a Punk IPA its exactly the same, even the aroma. Im not saying that they do or dont use pink grapefruit and it probably is their combination of hops, but the two drinks are nearly identical in flavour and aroma. Dont believe some of the recipes that BrewDog have supplied, some are just wrong.

Hurry up and brew some,I will tell you if it works,I may need a few to be sure though :thumb:

However, it could be that they don't mention it deliberately.

I kind of think this. The Hop schedule in a lot of their reciepes are really vague (didn't they expain it as giving the HBer the opportunity to be creative or some such bollards?) so I could well believe they 'forgot' to mention some of their ingredients in some of the reciepes

A lot of the new American hops are described as having "grapefruit" flavour/aroma. Including some of the "old" like Cascade, but I don't know where they get that from.

I've brewed a "DIYDog" recipe (#88 - Hunter Foundation Pale Ale) containing Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra. When it was brewing it tasted rather disconcertingly like grapefruit juice. But that trick of the taste buds moderated considerably by the time it was ready. But #88 is quite moderately hopped by Brewdog standards (it's why I chose it).

I've seen American articles on making beer intentionally cloudy (linked on this site) to reinforce the deception of "grapefruit juice". No idea why anyone would want to do that: Justify drinking it at breakfast perhaps?

This. I think it's the combination of the hops rather than actual fruit. However, it could be that they don't mention it deliberately.

I agree,I emailed the Williams Bros for a hop schedule for Ceaser Augustus and he said Nelson Sauvin and Amarillo,I'm sure it doesn't mention that on their website,I still made a good beer but it was nothing like afore mentioned.
It's understandable I guess, it's like asking Barrs for the Irn-Bru recipe :lol:

I think the punk IPA is one of most cloned beer from their recipes. I think nearly everyone I have read say it was spot on.

Im not saying it isn`t the exact recipe or they might have "forgot" to mention...Its their recipe . BrewDog have nothing to gain by releasing their recipes. You cant copyright a recipe (not strictly true, a recipe has only been copyrighted once). I think its more of a combination of the hops that they use to give a pink grapefruit flavour.

Back