Scratching my head

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaffa91

New Cider Brewer
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Attempted a small 2nd batch of apple cider with the remaining apples on the trees left over from the first pick. (I think the trees are various apples but no eating apples)

Rinsed apples
Pulpled apples
Pressed apples

Made 1 Gallon of apple juice

Poured juice through straining bag to make sure all bits missed were removed
Added 1 teaspoon of crushed campden as per instruction on bottle.
Left 24 hours
added some brewing sugar 250g
poured some luke warm water into a cup with cider yeast to give it some activation and then added to the juice.

Left fermenting for 14 days at reasonable temp of roughly 18-22 degrees.

Siphoned into barrel and adding extra sugar per required amount.

left barrel for another 1 week.

tasted the cider for the first time the other day (2 glasses) and it seems to be a bit flat in terms of fizz and also it has a slight vinegar taste.

The fizz is not a huge issue for me, but the vinegar taste is as it's the 2nd time I've attempted brewing cider and the 2nd time it's happened, I would like to nail this issue before trying to perfect the cider in other areas.

As you all know, it's a fun learning curve, so this can give me some insight into what I did wrong and what I an do next year to make it better.

Cheers

Jaffa

If this is only a gallon of cider and your putting it into a 5 gallon pressure barrel it will go flat very quickly as there is just to much headspace and oxygen.

If the cider continues to deteriorate then at least you have something to cook with, the only thing you can do is thoughly clean and sanitise everything, this is what you need to eliminate > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetobacter

It may be too late for this batch but you could try bottling or putting it into a smaller barrel for a while and see if it improves as non-eating apples take a while to be drinkable Cider. In future I would say if you are doing a small batch like this it's probably better to bottle it even if it's just into washed and sterilised coke bottles or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this is only a gallon of cider and your putting it into a 5 gallon pressure barrel it will go flat very quickly as there is just to much headspace and oxygen.

If the cider continues to deteriorate then at least you have something to cook with, the only thing you can do is thoughly clean and sanitise everything, this is what you need to eliminate > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetobacter

I will try this next time, as mentioned the fizz was not a huge issue but that would explain why it was fairly flat, in terms of the vinegar tasting what could you recommend on that front ? all kit is sterilised before use.

It may be too late for this batch but you could try bottling or putting it into a smaller barrel for a while and see if it improves as non-eating apples take a while to be drinkable Cider. In future I would say if you are doing a small batch like this it's probably better to bottle it even if it's just into washed and sterilised coke bottles or similar.

I have poured some into a smaller barrel to see how it turns out in 4 weeks time when i return home, i will take the advice on board thank you.

In terms of the vinegar taste could you suggest anything there ? as they are non eating apples would it be worth leaving for a longer period ? usual time frame is roughly 14 days after being barrelled (on bigger batches usually)

thanks

J

Anymore advice on the taste of vinegar that would be appreciated.

Cheers

Vinegar taste usually isn't good. If it's affected 2 batches it could be due to temperature or infection. Hopefully someone who knows more about it will be along to give you a better answer.

Does sound like juice was slightly infected, but infection may have been killed off with camdens leaving a very slight vinegar taste. If over next few weeks it gets worse then you'll have some lovely cider vinegar on your hands, unless you're drinking it now, in which case free up your toilet for regular use ...lol :lol:

Appreciate all your responses guys.

I will look into it a little more, keep reading threads and experimenting, I'll get it eventually :thumb:

The batch is drinkable and has not caused me to make a regular toilet visit as of yet :lol:

Cheers

J

Latest posts

Back