Vermont DIPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedburg101

Reaction score
Hi,

I've brewed my Vermont Style IPA a couple of times now and whilst its a bit more than 'hazy' and has been overly bitter for the style I'm tempted to make a DIPA.

What do you think to the following;

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Vermont DIPA
Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Double IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 20.8 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28.4 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.059
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:

Original Gravity: 1.081
Final Gravity: 1.023
ABV (standard): 7.62%
IBU (tinseth): 40.97
SRM (morey): 6.44

FERMENTABLES:

5.5 kg - American - Pale 2-Row (69.2%)
0.55 kg - Flaked Wheat (6.9%)
0.15 kg - German - Acidulated Malt (1.9%)
0.45 kg - German - CaraFoam (5.7%)
0.55 kg - Flaked Oats (6.9%)
0.75 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Amber (9.4%)

HOPS:

15 g - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 25.29
15 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 7.76
15 g - Galaxy, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 14.25, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 7.92
40 g - El Dorado, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.7, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 90 °C
40 g - Simcoe, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 12.7, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 90 °C
40 g - Galaxy, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 14.25, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 90 °C
28 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
28 g - Galaxy, Type: Plug, AA: 14.25, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
28 g - El Dorado, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.7, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
28 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 6 days
28 g - El Dorado, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.7, Use: Dry Hop for 6 days
28 g - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Dry Hop for 6 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 67 C, Time: 60 min
YEAST:
White Labs - London Ale Yeast WLP013
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 71%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 18.89 - 21.67 C
Fermentation Temp: 20 C

Any reason for the dme?

I would think about dropping the 60 mins hops to 30 mins. You will get bitterness from the whirlpool

I was trying to up the gravity without adding loads more to the mash tun (it'll probably be at it's limits with 8kg of grain)

I was trying to push abv to try and get in the DIPA range.

I was trying to up the gravity without adding loads more to the mash tun (it'll probably be at it's limits with 8kg of grain)

I was trying to push abv to try and get in the DIPA range.

How about adding some sugar. My understanding is things can get too heavy and cloying if you use too much grain in these big beers so simple sugars are used (in particular with belgian beers) to get you up to your targer ABV but also thin out the body

I think the recipe looks good I'm currently brewing something very similar (see here).
Much like mine, you're sort of between styles there. As others have said, it'll be a lot more bitter than the calculated IBUs suggest, but on the other hand it'll probably be a bit too rich and full bodied for a DIPA. If that's what you're going for then great. I'm only having concerns because I want to enter a competition and I don't know what category to enter.

I think the recipe looks good I'm currently brewing something very similar (see here).
Much like mine, you're sort of between styles there. As others have said, it'll be a lot more bitter than the calculated IBUs suggest, but on the other hand it'll probably be a bit too rich and full bodied for a DIPA. If that's what you're going for then great. I'm only having concerns because I want to enter a competition and I don't know what category to enter.

I wanted to enter the feb forum competition but I think the ibu is too low...

I really enjoy the juciey mouth feel youd get on this but I think youre right about being caught between styles.

Try something different and go traditional (if there is such a thing) DIPA?

Don't underestimate the bitterness you'll get from that big whirlpool addition. Brewing software will say it adds 0 ibu but that's definitely not the case. I'd hazard a guess that you'd be closer to 60 IBUs tastewise.
I say go for it as it, it'll be great. And the forum judges won't be too hard on you for stylistic inaccuracy.

Back