Corkers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyFever

Reaction score
Can anyone advise me on a decent corker that doesn't cost a fortune? Had one of those cheap red plastic ones which split last time I used it. Any recommendations would be gratefully received.
Cheers.

There are plenty of twin lever corkers out there, sell in Wilkos, though wilkos ones have a tendancy to rust after a couple of years.

Could get from here or any hb shop: http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Twin_Handle_Wine_Bottle_Corker.html

Standing corker: https://www.biggerjugs.co.uk/collections/spares-equipment/products/floor-standing-corking-machine

While I'm here any opinions on agglomerated wine corks, usually sold with a dia' of 23mm a few sites quote use a standing corker only. Has anyone used these with twin lever corkers? Also any experiences with these on mixed screw top and cork only wine bottles?
Agglomerated-Wine-Bottle-Corks.jpg
cork_agglomerated_grande.jpg

I have twin handled corker that I do not use, I have some corks too which are not required, I was looking to swap them for bit for cider bottling

Let me know, i put them in the for sale section a while back.

There are plenty of twin lever corkers out there, sell in Wilkos, though wilkos ones have a tendancy to rust after a couple of years.

Could get from here or any hb shop: http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Twin_Handle_Wine_Bottle_Corker.html

Standing corker: https://www.biggerjugs.co.uk/collections/spares-equipment/products/floor-standing-corking-machine

While I'm here any opinions on agglomerated wine corks, usually sold with a dia' of 23mm a few sites quote use a standing corker only. Has anyone used these with twin lever corkers? Also any experiences with these on mixed screw top and cork only wine bottles?
Agglomerated-Wine-Bottle-Corks.jpg
cork_agglomerated_grande.jpg

@tau corks confuse the hell out of me. I have standard size written down as 38x23 mm. I bought mine from my local brew shop, real cork but coated in something so you don't have to soak. They fit fine in my cork bottles, but I don't cork screwtops.

I've also got a bunch of JP Chenez bendy necks I bought in France that I've kept as I love the bottles, and some others nice ones from from there, and my corks don't fit? There are obviously bigger neck sizes but I cant find corks to fit and I don't want to bin them.

some **** I've accumulated below: no idea what size corks mine are and the shop didn't say

-------------------------------------------------------

The opening of a standard, 750 ml wine bottle is 3/4 of an inch. If you have a wine bottle corker you will want to purchase either the size #8 or size #9 corks. Which size you get depends on the type of corker you have.
Any wine bottle corker on the market can put in the size #8, however some corkers have trouble putting in a size #9. If the corker was purchased from E. C. Kraus, you will be able to put in a size #9 cork just fine.
If your corker was purchased from somewhere else and uses a funnel-design to compress the cork, you will need to use a size #8 wine cork. The commercial wine industry uses a size #9.
Size #7 corks are for individuals who want to put their corks in by hand. We do not recommend using this size for this purpose, but if you do, you will need to store the wine bottles up-right instead of on their side to prevent leakage.
Size #10 corks are for larger size bottles.
While many larger bottle still have the same 3/4 inch opening that the 750 ml have, some do have a larger opening that will require this larger size cork.
- See more at: http://www.eckraus.com/blog/what-size-corks-should-i-get-for-bottling-my-wine#sthash.6MH63rci.dpuf

Thanks Guys,
I liked the look of the Sanbri on mentioned by Vinotinto as it's all metal and should last forever. I found a decent looking one on BIN on ebay and so went for it.

Thanks for the offer Jaffa91 but I doubt I'd have anything you would need in exchange.

Cheers :thumb:

Thanks Guys,
I liked the look of the Sanbri on mentioned by Vinotinto as it's all metal and should last forever. I found a decent looking one on BIN on ebay and so went for it.

Thanks for the offer Jaffa91 but I doubt I'd have anything you would need in exchange.

Cheers :thumb:

Glad you found something. As I said, mine was in mint condition and there are loads on there albeit not quite so clean. Boots used to supply these years ago in the UK. The reason I went for this other than price was that the guy who does all the vids on Brewbitz uses one and recommends it. I do find I get bits of cork forming around the moving bits although not where it will go into the bottle with the next cork. Also, if you do not get your 'squeeze' right then you will struggle. Practice makes perfect. the piston shaft on mine shows signs of rusting too unless I make sure I dry it properly but hey, no complaints for 8 squids delivered. :thumb:

Glad you found something. As I said, mine was in mint condition and there are loads on there albeit not quite so clean. Boots used to supply these years ago in the UK. The reason I went for this other than price was that the guy who does all the vids on Brewbitz uses one and recommends it. I do find I get bits of cork forming around the moving bits although not where it will go into the bottle with the next cork. Also, if you do not get your 'squeeze' right then you will struggle. Practice makes perfect. the piston shaft on mine shows signs of rusting too unless I make sure I dry it properly but hey, no complaints for 8 squids delivered. :thumb:

I love those Video's, that's what got me into Country Wine !

@tau corks confuse the hell out of me. I have standard size written down as 38x23 mm. I bought mine from my local brew shop, real cork but coated in something so you don't have to soak. They fit fine in my cork bottles, but I don't cork screwtops.

I've also got a bunch of JP Chenez bendy necks I bought in France that I've kept as I love the bottles, and some others nice ones from from there, and my corks don't fit? There are obviously bigger neck sizes but I cant find corks to fit and I don't want to bin them.

some **** I've accumulated below: no idea what size corks mine are and the shop didn't say

-------------------------------------------------------

The opening of a standard, 750 ml wine bottle is 3/4 of an inch. If you have a wine bottle corker you will want to purchase either the size #8 or size #9 corks. Which size you get depends on the type of corker you have.
Any wine bottle corker on the market can put in the size #8, however some corkers have trouble putting in a size #9. If the corker was purchased from E. C. Kraus, you will be able to put in a size #9 cork just fine.
If your corker was purchased from somewhere else and uses a funnel-design to compress the cork, you will need to use a size #8 wine cork. The commercial wine industry uses a size #9.
Size #7 corks are for individuals who want to put their corks in by hand. We do not recommend using this size for this purpose, but if you do, you will need to store the wine bottles up-right instead of on their side to prevent leakage.
Size #10 corks are for larger size bottles.
While many larger bottle still have the same 3/4 inch opening that the 750 ml have, some do have a larger opening that will require this larger size cork.
- See more at: http://www.eckraus.com/blog/what-size-corks-should-i-get-for-bottling-my-wine#sthash.6MH63rci.dpuf

After having cork prob's I got some size 8, 9 & 10. size 9 & 10 synthetic. Size 9 will not go in screw cap bottles (also looked as if glass might break) and got stuck in the twin lever corker, but went in a cork wine bottle (empty though), don't think the size ten will go through corker I got I'll try when I have enough champayne type bottles. Still having difficulties getting synthetic 22mm (size 8 corks) which would solve cork mould issues on longer storage wines in screw cap bottles.

Latest posts

Back