Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Recipe Discussion > Query about my first ever brew.

Old 15-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #11
Fil

Liked 505 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Am sure you will wake tomorrow to the reassuring regular glug of an airlock (if one was fitted)
your gonna have a brew to savour in a few short weeks ..

Old 15-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #12
pms67

Liked 476 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 769

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainM View Post
I don't think you need the whirlfloc tablet if you aren't doing a mash. Even then half a tablet is sufficient. I've never used a servomyces tablet, but it shouldn't hurt. The bitterness from the hops looks right for a 60min boil. I would make a starter out of the liquid yeast, to ensure a healthy starting yeast population. Some people do underpitch wlp300 on purpose, to maximise the banana/clove flavours is kicks out, but I wouldn't recommend it as you don't know the viability of the pack. This yeast is also quite sensitive to temperature. Ferment at 18-19C for a restrained subtle character, as you would get in Germany, or at 21-22C for a more characterful brew as is a common interpretation of the style in the US.
IanM
I wish I had half your knowledge of beer/brewing mate,I don't mind admitting I'm jealous,you may find yourself on the receiving end of a few questions from me,MyQul helped me recently with a Czech Pilsner and it has turned out nice,only done three biab brews and what a hobby,super

IainM Likes This 
Old 15-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #13
IainM

Liked 358 Times on 256 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappa86 View Post
Just completed the brew, now sitting in the fermenter waiting for the bubbling Was a bit stressful, especially on the cold side worrying if I was keeping everything sterile, hopefully the starsan splashed everywhere would do the trick, but it was really fun and I'm looking forward to seeing how it'll turn out.
Let us know how it works out
FVs: BIAB#13: Hefeweizen
Conditioning: Stout x 2, IIPA, Mead, Cyser, Melomel, Alco~Cola, HBC Belgian Triple & Dubble
Drinking: BIPA2, Perry, Mild, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, WineBud Sav Blanc
Drunk: Hoppy lager, Mosaic SMATH, 2 Wedding Ales, BIPA, 2xCoop. Stout (black treacle & choc. milk), honey cider, ginger beer, TC x2, berry punch, Coop. Blonde+FF7C, EvilDog, YAIPA, JB IPA, Wherry, Munt. IPA, Coop. Wheat mod, Coop. Cerveza. WOWs: blueberry, tropical.
Zappa86 Likes This 
Old 15-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #14
IainM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms67 View Post
IanM
I wish I had half your knowledge of beer/brewing mate,I don't mind admitting I'm jealous,you may find yourself on the receiving end of a few questions from me,MyQul helped me recently with a Czech Pilsner and it has turned out nice,only done three biab brews and what a hobby,super
Haha. Thanks, but I can't take too much credit. The only reason I knew about the Hefeweizen style was because I read up on it before making my first attempt at one, which is in the fv with the same WLP300 yeast as we speak.
Conditioning: Stout x 2, IIPA, Mead, Cyser, Melomel, Alco~Cola, HBC Belgian Triple & Dubble
Drunk: Hoppy lager, Mosaic SMATH, 2 Wedding Ales, BIPA, 2xCoop. Stout (black treacle & choc. milk), honey cider, ginger beer, TC x2, berry punch, Coop. Blonde+FF7C, EvilDog, YAIPA, JB IPA, Wherry, Munt. IPA, Coop. Wheat mod, Coop. Cerveza. WOWs: blueberry, tropical.

Old 15-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #15
Zappa86

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCat View Post
I have used Carawheat before but 500g for your recipe is too much imho. I would only use half. Its good stuff though
Glad I took your advice and cut the carawheat down (I used 250g), at the moment it's looking a bit on the lighter side of a dunkelweizen, if I had put the whole 500g I think it would have been way too dark.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Old 15-01-2017, 10:07 PM   #16
Zappa86

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainM View Post
Let us know how it works out
Will do, hoping to bottle in 2 weeks and then give it a try a further two weeks from that. If it is drinkable I'll regard that as a win for my first attempt.

Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM   #17
Zappa86

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Now one week since the wort went into the fv and it all seems OK. One thing I am concerned about is that I haven't seen a bubble from the airlock since 4 days into the fermentation. Is this normal? It went like a rocket the first few days but seems to have gone all quiet now.

Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM   #18
IainM

Yeah that's fine. It slows down as the sugars get consumed, but the yeast is still doing its job.

Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM   #19
Zappa86

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks. Going to give it one more week then I'll bottle.