Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, in the space of a day I've bought 30L of beer.

Rather than buying full MK's I'm going to bite the bullet and buy 4 Easy Kegs from Brew UK. With postage it comes to £29.95 so £7.48 per keg. The way I figure it is if I were to buy a full keg of OSH at £15 I'm losing out because I can make 5L of beer for about £1.75 so thats still only £9.23 for a full keg of my own beer (I'll be reusing the keg of course so it wont cost £9.23 each time, just comparing the prices)

Geterbrewed do the ibrew tap-a-draft system for �£55

I've one a bit of research into these but one benefit I see with the tapadraft system is you can inject Nitrogen into Stouts making a creamy Guinness like pint. I've heard conflicting reports on the sturdiness of the system although most of the problems seem to have occurred with V1 of the system. Wilko's sell them for £45 but never seem to have it in stock.

I knew you coul re-use those kegs but thought you needed a tap to serve. If I'd have known that I' have bought ages ago.

I'll definitely try these. I'm off to my brothers later and had to buy some beer - shame on me :(

Geterbrewed do the ibrew tap-a-draft system for ��£55

I've one a bit of research into these but one benefit I see with the tapadraft system is you can inject Nitrogen into Stouts making a creamy Guinness like pint. I've heard conflicting reports on the sturdiness of the system although most of the problems seem to have occurred with V1 of the system. Wilko's sell them for �£45 but never seem to have it in stock.

I knew you coul re-use those kegs but thought you needed a tap to serve. If I'd have known that I' have bought ages ago.

I'll definitely try these. I'm off to my brothers later and had to buy some beer - shame on me :(

I bought the Brewferm starter kit today easy enough to use but at a price!

And I also forgot you can get dedicated fridges with taps for these 5L barrels. Looks the part if you've limited space.

I've seen them for around £100 but a quick Google brought up this

I thought you needed a tap and some sort of force carbing system too until I read you didn't in the link in Bevvied's OP

Pending on how fast you drink them is the key to carbed ale, thats why the one i bought has a force carb system to keep your ale carbed

Pending on how fast you drink them is the key to carbed ale, thats why the one i bought has a force carb system to keep your ale carbed

I much prefer lower carbed beer so don't mind if when I get near to the bottom of the keg is almost flat (if that is indee the case - someone mentioned in the thread tough they can last about a week)

I much prefer lower carbed beer so don't mind if when I get near to the bottom of the keg is almost flat (if that is indee the case - someone mentioned in the thread tough they can last about a week)

I understand all i was saying is the other option is you can still vary how much carb you have til it runs out :tongue:

I've not had any real problem with these. Open the release valve on the rubber.

Then pour a pint. First one may be a little foamy.

From then on, close the gas release on the top when not in use.

Open gas valve then the tap.

I've had nothing but great results from these.

I've even closed the keg up. I.e. push tap back in and close top bung. Left it for a few days and still got crystal clear, fresh carbed beer like the day I opened it.

I have 5 so makes for a batch or one spare for experimental brews or a cider.

I've bought most of mine from the supermarket or collected them from recycling bins outside people's houses when I'm cycling to work :-)

I've not had any real problem with these. Open the release valve on the rubber.

Then pour a pint. First one may be a little foamy.

From then on, close the gas release on the top when not in use.

Open gas valve then the tap.

I've had nothing but great results from these.

I've even closed the keg up. I.e. push tap back in and close top bung. Left it for a few days and still got crystal clear, fresh carbed beer like the day I opened it.

I have 5 so makes for a batch or one spare for experimental brews or a cider.

I've bought most of mine from the supermarket or collected them from recycling bins outside people's houses when I'm cycling to work :-)

And that's for cask conditioning not force carbing?

Is that red vent thingy on the top supposed to pull straight out in your hand?
Yours
Bevvied (Phd Hamfistedness)

Latest posts

Back