Thoughts on these?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battleaxe

Reaction score
Going to do Two Batches probably a week apart so to save postage im going to order the ingredients for both so to make sure does anyone have anything to add or suggest for these two.

York Brewery centurions ghost ale clone.

As per Clibits AG guide they will both be 5lt batches aiming for a 6ish litre boil

Grain Bill:

Pale Malt: 990g
Roasted Barley: 35g
Chocolate Malt: Chocolate
Crystal 90: 150g

Boil Schedule:

Challenger: 4g @ 60mins
Fuggles: 3g @ 60mins
Fuggles: 3g @ 15 mins
Bramling cross: 3g @ 15mins
Bramling cross: 2g @ 5 mins

Aiming for around 35IBU

ABV of around 5.4%

To get this i used the York brewery website and canibalised a few recipes I've found in books and other websites.

the second is a TT Landlord clone:

Grain Bill:

1000g Golden Promise
8g Black malt

Boil Schedule:

7g challenger @ 60mins
5g styrian goldings @ 30mins
4g styrian goldings @ 15mins
4g Styrian Goldings @ 0mins

S04 Yeast

36 IBU's
Around 4.3% ABV

So any thoughts or changes are welcome, ive done these by the seat of my pants so if im waaaay out with anything let me know!

Looking good. Not so sure I would put hops in at 30 though - either go for 60 or 5. If you have a recipe calculator, tinker with the hop times. The later they go in the less bitterness and more aroma.

Are you saying don't try to gain additional bitterness from 30min additions just put more in at the beggining and use the last 5 mins for the aroma your trying to achieve?

I certainly like the look of the centurion ghost clone. You make the receipe up or did you get it somewhere?

I'm not clear on this bit?

Edit: Just noticed you said it's your own receipe :doh:

I certainly like the look of the centurion ghost clone. You make the receipe up or did you get it somewhere?

I'm not clear on this bit?

Edit: Just noticed you said it's your own receipe :doh:

It's should say 40g of chocolate malt...

Thank you! I've been using Brewers friend for some guidance but reading a lot when selecting malts for total grist percentages etc.

Yes it's my own the York brewery website has the details on what malts and hops used but I had to make the recipe.

I'm excited I'm a massive fan of dark ales and porters you don't find them as often on tap!

With recipes it just gives you guideline style numbers to follow so I was worried I'd overdone one malt and should use more of another to achieve a better outcome however if it tastes good Who will know!

If you haven't got it already, I would highly recommend Greg Hughes' 'Home Brew Beer' book. Explains in my terms (that is, simple) percentages etc. Really worth the money, I think anyway....

I've read a couple the last being how to brew by John Palmer which I've reference a lot while making these.

He does encourage experimentation, and at a 5lt batch it's not a lot to go down the sink or drink if it doesn't turn out as planned!

It's should say 40g of chocolate malt...

Thank you! I've been using Brewers friend for some guidance but reading a lot when selecting malts for total grist percentages etc.

Yes it's my own the York brewery website has the details on what malts and hops used but I had to make the recipe.

I'm excited I'm a massive fan of dark ales and porters you don't find them as often on tap!

With recipes it just gives you guideline style numbers to follow so I was worried I'd overdone one malt and should use more of another to achieve a better outcome however if it tastes good Who will know!

I'm a big fan of dark beers too. I mostly make Stouts, Porters and Milds, but I have never made a ruby beer so your receipe interested me.

I'm making a porter this weekend, Honey Porter from GH's book but I'm going to do a little twist. Now that I've got some temperature control I'm going to pseudo lager it at 15C using US-05 and cold condition in my domestic fridge to make it a (pseudo) baltic porter.

If you love stouts and porters I can highly recommend this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1629145114/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It firstly goes into an indepth history of the styles, then looks at the types of ingredients (malts and andjuncts) that go into making the styles (also giving recommended percentages so you can make your own reciepes) the gives you loads of AG, partial and extract receipes at the end

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't got it already, I would highly recommend Greg Hughes' 'Home Brew Beer' book. Explains in my terms (that is, simple) percentages etc. Really worth the money, I think anyway....

I got the Greg Hughes and Graham Wheeler books for Xmas, both of them are a great read. I do like Graham Wheelers write ups on the history of the mild and Stout/Porter recipes, the mixing of young and old beers. His view that it would be unpalatable to our tastes today really makes me want to try a glass or two of them.

but I have never made a ruby beer so your receipe interested me.

The Centurions Ghost ale is actually a very dark Almost porter its Got big body and doesn't have the standout chocolate or coffee of a porter.

I'd call it a Dark ale like Old Peculier but without the sweet or wine fruit notes...

It's hard to give it a "Genre" it has its own

I might up the darkness of the recipe if you think it's more ruby that dark.

The Centurions Ghost ale is actually a very dark Almost porter its Got big body and doesn't have the standout chocolate or coffee of a porter.

I'd call it a Dark ale like Old Peculier but without the sweet or wine fruit notes...

It's hard to give it a "Genre" it has its own

I might up the darkness of the recipe if you think it's more ruby that dark.

tbh I'm sure whether your receipe will be more ruby than dark. I'm not that great at reciepe's. I only mention ruby because the yorkshire brewery site itself decribes the beer as "dark ruby ale"

There you go then TBH I always drink it in the Guy Fawkes Inn in York and the place is lit with gas lamps and has a definite "atmosphere"

So it just looks black when I've had a pint to enjoy!

Hello all,
Been looking at doing this recipe for a week o so..my palls from York insisted I make a batch lol
As some people know I can get confused with my tiny brain...
My question is:
Unless there's an obvious grain I'm trying to buy (Malt Miller) like Maris Otter I get confuse which one to chose..
Your recipe state Pale Malt
Looking on the site there's more than one! And think the crystal 90 is there but can't find the 90....only get 60..
Can anyone state which one for I can copy the recipe exact, if you don't mind.
Final question is the yeast, and could Maris otter supliment instead of pale malt?
Thx you

Hi there Bri @Manxnorton . I noticed this thread when you posted on it but forgot to answer your questions when I saw them :oops:

Assuming your still interested in making this beer:

-Yes you can switch out Pale Malt for Marris Otter. Marris Otter is the goto, flagship base malt for English Beers and seeing as Centurion ale is English they may well use it themselves
-If you use Malt Miller for your ingredients I can't see crystal malt 90 but they have cara bohemian malt.http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=122 the poncy name is just a proprietary name for Crystal 72-79 (although on the site its in EBC rather than Lovibond which is very roughly double the figure for EBC) so I think it would work.
- Yeast; something English like S04 or Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell. But a clean yeast would work I think something like US-05 or Nottingham/Gervin Ale yeast.

Edit: Scratch the cara bohemian I've just notice they have dark crystal 240 EBC which is 90L, exactly what you want

Hi there Bri @Manxnorton . I noticed this thread when you posted on it but forgot to answer your questions when I saw them :oops:

Assuming your still interested in making this beer:

-Yes you can switch out Pale Malt for Marris Otter. Marris Otter is the goto, flagship base malt for English Beers and seeing as Centurion ale is English they may well use it themselves
-If you use Malt Miller for your ingredients I can't see crystal malt 90 but they have cara bohemian malt.http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=122 the poncy name is just a proprietary name for Crystal 72-79 (although on the site its in EBC rather than Lovibond which is very roughly double the figure for EBC) so I think it would work.
- Yeast; something English like S04 or Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell. But a clean yeast would work I think something like US-05 or Nottingham/Gervin Ale yeast.

Edit: Scratch the cara bohemian I've just notice they have dark crystal 240 EBC which is 90L, exactly what you want

m8
over the moon:thumb:
dark crystal 240...is crystal 90...bloody cofusinf lol...
thinking using Massis otter next time...just get the recipe spot.
thx pal:thumb:

Latest posts

Back