sodium percarbonate (oxi)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 20 or 25kg bag and split it with a few people and it work s great. Just be careful using it and vacuum seal it into smaller portions as you do not want it to get moisture into it.

It's exactly the same. I think they're guilty of a touch of mis-selling there. You need 1tsp (5g) per litre. They say you need 25g to clean all your equipment I.e. 5L. And personally I would give it longer than 10 mins soak.

Save your money. Buy the raw chemical (sodium percarbonate), fill your dirty fermenter with warm water and 5 tablespoons of the powder then leave till all the debris is lifted and dissolved. Then rinse out thoroughly. Finally finish off with wetting of star San and you are clean and sanitised.

As far as fabric stain removers go then Poundland and Lidls products are a bargain.

I just don't trust these laundry products for brewing though. I don't have the lidl/poundland oxiclean product but looking at the ingredients on the market leader 'Vanish':

contains >30% oxygen based bleaching agents - presumably meaning that 70% of the product is not percarbonate??
<5% anionic surfactants - i.e. soap. You definitely don't want that near your beer so rinsing is an absolute must!
Enzymes - ??? what do they do to beer!
Perfume - again keep well away from beer.

Personally I think the pure chemical is probably better value for money (more active ingredient) but without the risks. That said, most people are using laundry products in their brewing without any problems at all!

It's exactly the same. I think they're guilty of a touch of mis-selling there. You need 1tsp (5g) per litre. They say you need 25g to clean all your equipment I.e. 5L. And personally I would give it longer than 10 mins soak.

Save your money. Buy the raw chemical (sodium percarbonate), fill your dirty fermenter with warm water and 5 tablespoons of the powder then leave till all the debris is lifted and dissolved. Then rinse out thoroughly. Finally finish off with wetting of star San and you are clean and sanitised.

Any particular reason to use 2 no rinse sanitisers?

Most people use sodium percarbonate as a cleaner, not a sanitiser. Personally I always rinse it then StarSan like Darren.

Yes that's correct, I use it as a cleaner. It's great at dissolving dried on krausen! I would only use it as a no rinse sanitizer if the equipment was already clean.

hmm interesting, it's the first "no rinse sanitiser" I bought since returning to home brewing and one of the changes I had attributed my success to. I'm now using vinegar, bleach and water which I'm also happy with. All good, as long as it works :)

Hello all
I bought some off The Malt miller which was used for the clean up after bottling my stout. The fv was cankered but this stuff ripped through it easily with very little effort on my part...5l of hot water with 5 spoons of the powder,gave it a good thrashing about and shake and left it outside for a bit..easy! All the crud just washed away.

Cheers
Clint

Yeah the poundland stuff is fine but lidl's is a bit better I think, though a little more expensive.

It's the first time I'm using it, I have a fermenting bucket with some equipment in it as well filled to the brim with a mix of it but left the lid off and left it outside - such is life

I plan to get a few brews on 2moz ( kits only unfortunately unless I can find the will power to go and get the ingredients for another fiery ginger beer

Would it be okay to just give the tubs like an hour or so soak and then thoroughly rinse out like twice and just rub it down inside and on the interior of the lids ?

I give mine a good sloshing round with the oxide then wait until all crud has lifted then I rinse then make up a dollop of starsan put everything in the fv and sterilise. Leave while you prepare the next brew,tip out,job done.

Cheers

Clint

It's the first time I'm using it, I have a fermenting bucket with some equipment in it as well filled to the brim with a mix of it but left the lid off and left it outside - such is life

I plan to get a few brews on 2moz ( kits only unfortunately unless I can find the will power to go and get the ingredients for another fiery ginger beer

Would it be okay to just give the tubs like an hour or so soak and then thoroughly rinse out like twice and just rub it down inside and on the interior of the lids ?

It's best not to leave it soaking for too long otherwise it can deposit a residue which is very difficult to remove, especially if you have hard water. Around 15 - 20 mins should be enough. Give it a couple of good rinses with hot water then sanitise with your sanitiser if choice.

Latest posts

Back