Easy 'red' wine from Supermarket juice WoW.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate that it has been said that we will not be able to make a red wine from supermarket juices but it would be jnteresting to see how close you have all actually come to replicating a half decent 'house red'.

Here is my first effort using a recipe linked to by Chippy some time ago and known as Richard's Red.

Don't know how the colour will show in the picture but there it is on the right and significantly different to the Purple Rose on the left. I wonder how it will turn out! :wink:

I did this one with 3litres of Waitrose Merlot Grape 100 % juice, a can of Youngs Red wine enricher and water to the shoulder. 500g sugar and the usual pectinase, glycerin citric, tannin, nutrient and used Youngs Burgundy yeast. Not the cheapest of WoWs and with a starting SG of 1.116 could be a bit hefty! Fingers crossed.

View attachment 6741
Looks good. What does Wow stand for?

I've just finished a couple of batches of house red made with 4l of sainsbury red grape juice, 900g of sugar (650 white/250 brown - ran out of white sugar...) and a pack of iceland frozen cherries.

OG was a huge 1.116, with a FG of 0.990. Its tasty, and won't last long at all... Looks like a dark rose though rather than a deep red.

Latest posts

Back