AG full kit for 25L help (leads to Grainfather purchase)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All sorted then, Glad to hear it all arrives assembled and the grain stopper has also been upgraded.. while the simplicity of the little ally cap did appeal to me its lack of mass meant it was all to easy to knock off ;)

The Grainfather has a thermal switch with a manual reset, while using the controller as is i had no problems,and ive read of no reports of it tripping with normal use.

However when upgrading to a reflashed OVBS stc1000 i initially ran with default heating output parameters i scorched the pot base (concealed element, easily cleaned up) And tripped the thermal switch :( I have since tweaked the controllers power output parameters to correct this (fingers crossed)

But with that experience in mind i intend to knock up a wee platform to sit on a couple of 2x4" runs with a central hole to provide easy access to the thermal switch reset button. It was no fun hugging a full hot grainfather as i balanced it on the edge of the stand it was sat on so i could fumble underneath to hit the button ;(

All sorted then, Glad to hear it all arrives assembled and the grain stopper has also been upgraded.. while the simplicity of the little ally cap did appeal to me its lack of mass meant it was all to easy to knock off ;)

The Grainfather has a thermal switch with a manual reset, while using the controller as is i had no problems,and ive read of no reports of it tripping with normal use.

However when upgrading to a reflashed OVBS stc1000 i initially ran with default heating output parameters i scorched the pot base (concealed element, easily cleaned up) And tripped the thermal switch :( I have since tweaked the controllers power output parameters to correct this (fingers crossed)

But with that experience in mind i intend to knock up a wee platform to sit on a couple of 2x4" runs with a central hole to provide easy access to the thermal switch reset button. It was no fun hugging a full hot grainfather as i balanced it on the edge of the stand it was sat on so i could fumble underneath to hit the button ;(

It seems over my head TBH..meds kicking in.
I've looked about the reset button..and looking on your tips n things.
I have to sort out my recipe or I run behind...
Might do a dry run first...work space position etc..
Probly two teir system,.sparge water tank..then the grainfather on the floor or low table...at least the pump can get the wort after chilling into my FV to pitch the yeast...
Atb
Bri

Dry run sounds like the way to go, make sure it all works and that you are comfortable with the lifting etc.

Yeah m8...brings back memories of olds day....£&@t I have to pick up my daughter 10 mins ago!!! And the the brew day is not on....
Get up early and set up...
And I the hoses leaks! The electric turns ****!!
Now I have to think safety..is my knowledge is sinking in.... TBH I'll be fine...slowly does it...
Bri

I cant help with recommending kit, as I just use a pan and brew bucket, but I can drop you off enough bottles for a brew as im quite near in Sunnyland and have some spare if you are short of them. Best of luck!

I cant help with recommending kit, as I just use a pan and brew bucket, but I can drop you off enough bottles for a brew as im quite near in Sunnyland and have some spare if you are short of them. Best of luck!

Hallow pal,
Thanks for replying.
I have fond memories of time before upgraded my brews..fil always said to when I went over and bought his AG kit he's upgrade...I reckon it's the natural thing to do..expense dictates etc..
Thx pal but I've got more than I need of bottles...some remember times I had 4 x 23l brews on the go to put in bottles, 2 corneys and a king keg..and nuff to fill 1l bottles..and more brew days on hand..
Thx pal
Atb
Bri

The grainfather comes tomorrow..followed with the grainfather sparge hot water boiler fri I think...
I keep saying I have to sort the first recipe...right!!!! It's now....no shopping no house work!!!
I'm the boss! (Honest!)
Atb
Bri

It seems over my head TBH..meds kicking in.
I've looked about the reset button..and looking on your tips n things.
I have to sort out my recipe or I run behind...
Might do a dry run first...work space position etc..
Probly two teir system,.sparge water tank..then the grainfather on the floor or low table...at least the pump can get the wort after chilling into my FV to pitch the yeast...
Atb
Bri

If I were you I'd try to keep the GF on the ground, the higher it is the harder it is to lift the grain basket I find.

wup wup!
I can remember how to get the recipe I done a few years ago from brewers friend...that is harder than I thought remembering my email & pw...then exporting to brew mate...
all going good so far...but I think I may need help for inputting the grainfather settings etc...
sorry my Strokes have erased my memories....
I'm playing now....on the brew mate and brewers friend...
wish me luck..
ATB
Bri
ohhh! BTW its going to be a milk choc stout2 I make. 23L

helpppp!! already lol
whats boil down wort in my misc bill on brew mate?
and I might need help for working out efficiency etc..
I think I have to input the grainfather settings onto my profile on brewers friend...not sure?Milk Choc Stout 2
American Stout
Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.680
Total Hops (g): 0.02
Original Gravity (OG): 1.041 (°P): 10.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.79 %
Colour (SRM): 17.0 (EBC): 33.5
Bitterness (IBU): 0.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60
Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 kg Maris Otter Pale (85.47%)
0.270 kg Crystal 60L (5.77%)
0.200 kg Pale Chocolate (4.27%)
0.150 kg Carapils (3.21%)
0.060 kg Black Patent (1.28%)
Hop Bill
----------------
0.0 g East Kent Goldings Leaf (5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0 g/L)
Misc Bill
----------------
2000.0 g boil down wort @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
400.0 g lactose @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with British Ale Yeast WLP005
this is the recipe.

thanks
Brian

+1 use the grainfather manual formula or the online tool to determine strike and sparge volumes, they work a treat. by all means use brewmate to finalise a recipe re grain bill and hop additions, and use the grain mass you decide on as the basis for the strike n sparge volumes..

while google has failed me this afternoon im pretty sure there are a few chaps out there brewing with a full volume mash and no sparge with a grainfather, less beer per brew but less lifting and no sparge ;)

This has nothing to do with the beer but: I have real admiration for you, Manx. I saw my grandad go through strokes and the effect of them and I think you're bloody brave and an inspiration to us all.
Keep on truckin'.

Joe

Thx joe,
I'm just a battler! I never give up pal!! I handle them and near death experience with humour!! 25 years on the Army thought me just to laugh at adversity...well it's how I cope...
And I have a hobby to occupy my time..
Atb
Bri

+1 use the grainfather manual formula or the online tool to determine strike and sparge volumes, they work a treat. by all means use brewmate to finalise a recipe re grain bill and hop additions, and use the grain mass you decide on as the basis for the strike n sparge volumes..

while google has failed me this afternoon im pretty sure there are a few chaps out there brewing with a full volume mash and no sparge with a grainfather, less beer per brew but less lifting and no sparge ;)

Hi m8,
I get in now-ish!!
The recipes were already done in brewers friend then exported to brew mate...
For some reason on my recipe the hops is missing...
And looking back the final percentage of ABV is quite low!! But drinkerable lol
Atb
Bri

Just wanted to say before my meds take effect...I thank you all for all the help and taking your time with me..
It's an emazing experience so far not only for theropy point of view but a drive to get onnwith 'normal life'...well u know what I'm saying lol
It's is frustrating for to re learn lives simple tasks but I'm just happy that the grim reaper keeps away....been five time in two years nearly....I reckon I get him lashed the next time n he'll not know owt!! Ha! Ha!
Upward and onwards
Nite nite all
Brian

Latest posts

Back