Buffalo Boiler cc193

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonV

Reaction score
Had one of these for 18 months now and done a few successful brews.
However, disaster struck this morning half an hour into a boil with the 13A plug top fuse blowing.
Replaced the fuse and although it came back on it just about managed a slow boil. As I had no alternative I just carried on for a bit longer than usual.
As I guessed, whipping the base off, the element had blown. It looks like dual heaters in parallel and one appeared to be working just enough to struggle to the boil.
Got on to Nisbets, for whom they were specially made, and guess what, as this model is discontinued there are no more spare elements!
They were unable to tell me if the later models have the same element so I'm waiting to hear.
If not it looks like a kettle element mod. Any recommendations?
Cheers.
Don
Nisbets say the the replacement boiler is made by a different manufacturer so parts aren't interchangeable. The cc193 and its element are "dropped lines".

Last edited:
I did something similar a while back. You might struggle to find a replacement if I'm honest. I looked for a month without joy and gave up. Then one day happened to have another look on eBay and one popped up.
One tip... All the old cc range boilers use the same element, so look out for a 10l boiler as it'll obviously be cheaper than a bigger one. Although be careful as there are a couple of online stores selling boilers described as CC190s, but they're actually the newer models. I had to send one back and they weren't happy about it ;)
Good luck, I would say eBay is your best bet, or a QMAX cutter to make a hole and fit a kettle element (I wasn't brave enough for that)

Thanks for the tip about the same elements being used.
Looks like the brew turned out ok by the way. I don't have any plans for another one for the time being so I'll keep a look out but I think the way to go is the electric kettle element as a replacement Buffalo element is not going to last long even if I find one. I drilled the hole for a bigger tap so perhaps I can borrow a 40mm cutter for the element.
I sent Nisbets a strongly worded letter expressing my extreme disappointment hoping that, in order to preserve their reputation, they'll send me a replacement boiler. As yet I've not received a reply so I'm not holding my breath!
I notice that there are some 30L Burcos on ebay for reasonable prices, I wonder if they are being made in China now. At least they seem to be selling some spares for them.
Cheers
Don

Latest posts

Back