Sodastream CO2 usage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willycoolj

Regular.
Reaction score
How long will a sodastream CO2 bottle last when using Cornelius kegs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suppose it depends on how often you drink and your set up. If you still prime the keg with sugar to carbonate then you wont need CO2 to carbonate the beer.

I looked at them but felt it would not last long enough. I am currently deciding whether to get my gas from a welding cylinder or a CO2 fire extinguisher. I can get a welding cylinder for £25 gas fill or seen some reconditioned CO2 cylinders tonight for a few quid.

I seen that the 6Kg welding cylinder will last most people well over a year.

I suppose it depends on how often you drink and your set up. If you still prime the keg with sugar to carbonate then you wont need CO2 to carbonate the beer.

I looked at them but felt it would not last long enough. I am currently deciding whether to get my gas from a welding cylinder or a CO2 fire extinguisher. I can get a welding cylinder for £25 gas fill or seen some reconditioned CO2 cylinders tonight for a few quid.

I seen that the 6Kg welding cylinder will last most people well over a year.

If you use a keg at some point unless you demolish it really fast you will need a Co2 top up, its personal choice upon usage as to which would be the most economically viable. Tank of Co2 in NI is £40 splutter :(
From my own point of view i want to get to the point im drinking on average 6 month old beer.
After playing about with first keg this past week and wasting some gas in the learning process i think I may purge the kony kegs in future with co2, just add 5 psi of co2 with already having added 50 grams of diluted sugar to fermented beer.
I may be way way wrong but thoughts is that it will increase the pressure in the koni for say 8 weeks . Once ready to use i'll then expel the pressure then connect co2 at approx 12 psi or lower if thats my preferred level. Just think of any yeast in your beer as actimel lol :smile:
Really interested myself on pros and cons of this myself.

Tank of Co2 in NI is �£40 splutter :(

I am from NI too and have been sourcing CO2 tonight. Cheapest 6Kg cylinder I can get is £90 to start and £30 for refill!! I am now looking at CO2 fire extinguishers as well as I can get them cheaper.

Still new to it - haven't got my keezer up and running yet!

I am from NI too and have been sourcing CO2 tonight. Cheapest 6Kg cylinder I can get is ��£90 to start and ��£30 for refill!! I am now looking at CO2 fire extinguishers as well as I can get them cheaper.

Still new to it - haven't got my keezer up and running yet!

I got mine from my local motor factors, I was lucky that i did not have the �£60/70 initial bottle charge but refills I may have to make a few more phone calls. I did pop a msg to our local homebrew shop but never got a reply :(

I got mine from my local motor factors, I was lucky that i did not have the ��£60/70 initial bottle charge but refills I may have to make a few more phone calls. I did pop a msg to our local homebrew shop but never got a reply :(

Which motor factors was it - the one in Newtownards???

That was the one that quoted me £90 initially and then 24 + VAT for refills.

Joe Weirs in Portadown https://www.yell.com/biz/joe-weir-auto-parts-craigavon-4590392/

Only 6 mile from me but handy, A lot of the motor factors will do them for welding

Can you remember how much it cost for the cylinder initially? The initial cost, along with the poor availability of different sizes is what is causing me most difficulty at the mo.

I have looked at two motor factors - one in Newtownards and one up the colinglen road in Belfast and both are the same price - £90 initially and 25+VAT for filling. They definitely refill so might be an option for you if your local wont refill

Can you remember how much it cost for the cylinder initially? The initial cost, along with the poor availability of different sizes is what is causing me most difficulty at the mo.

I have looked at two motor factors - one in Newtownards and one up the colinglen road in Belfast and both are the same price - �£90 initially and 25+VAT for filling. They definitely refill so might be an option for you if your local wont refill

£70 plus 40 inc vat was their price, Not OTT for bottle but a bit more expensive on refills. We won't get is as cheap as Uk prices for sure.

I know it's no good to you guys but a place in Newcastle ( England) did a refill for me for �£15. They supply for fire extinguishers and diving apparatus as it's near the coast. May be worth looking at diving places?

I'm from NI myself and was thinking of using fire extinguishers but adapting them to fit a pressure barrel with a tyre pressure gauge and a Schrader valve fitted to the barrel.
My only worry about using fire extinguishers is the possibility of contaminants within the tanks and the same for tanks sourced from engineering departments,motor factors etc.
I'm thinking it might be better to purchase food grade tanks and have these refilled.

Sent from my ALE-L21

I'm from NI myself and was thinking of using fire extinguishers but adapting them to fit a pressure barrel with a tyre pressure gauge and a Schrader valve fitted to the barrel.
My only worry about using fire extinguishers is the possibility of contaminants within the tanks and the same for tanks sourced from engineering departments,motor factors etc.
I'm thinking it might be better to purchase food grade tanks and have these refilled.

Sent from my ALE-L21

I have been looking at extinguishers too. This is mainly because a 6kg cylinder wont fit in the keezer I am building.

I have researched this and many have used extinguishers. CO2 will have the same purity. It will be the cylinder that will be different as per the different grades. Extinguishers will churn out liquid CO2 instead of gas. Most people have reported that their regulator copes with the liguid but its not designed for that purpose. Some will say to invert the extiuisher when you use it and then it will be gas coming out instead of liquid

Hi Zippy40,in that case is this not down to the dispense and pressure it has been filled.This is the reason I am thinking of the conversion on the hose with dispensing through the gauge line as this would have a narrower exit point to the valve as well as having a higher fill pressure but regulatable.

Sent from my ALE-L21

Hi Zippy40,in that case is this not down to the dispense and pressure it has been filled.This is the reason I am thinking of the conversion on the hose with dispensing through the gauge line as this would have a narrower exit point to the valve as well as having a higher fill pressure but regulatable.

Sent from my ALE-L21

I am no expert here but from what I have read, the CO2 extinguisher is at the same pressures as the food grade or welding cylinders. The difference is that to aid the fire fighting ability of the CO2, it is dispensed in liquid form. They do this by placing a dip tube in the extinguisher, so that the CO2 is drawn off from the bottom rather than the top. This means that by inverting the extinguisher, you stop the dip tube from doing its job and it will then dispense Gas rather than liquid in the same way as the food grade or welding cylinders do.

Back