Filter beer without keg nor CO2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 17310

Reaction score
Hi HBF!

I am still in the course of adding and collecting things for my beer brewing equipment.
As my current brew was very trubby cloudy when I primed and bottled it I am now thinking about a way to filter my beer on its way from the secondary to the bottling bucket without using kegs nor pressurized CO2 bottles because I dont use any of that. As I still want to bottle carbonate my beers I would then prime and repitch yeast.

Does anyone have an idea or know an efficient technique to achieve kust this? Do you have experience with repitching yeast at bottling time?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and knowledge!

ThePhil

I think you may have a few misconceptions there; sorry.

1. "Trubby and cloudy when bottled."

This is probably because you did it too early. From pitching the yeast to bottling under ideal conditions I wait at least two weeks before syphoning the beer off into the bottling bucket.

2. "Filtering between FV and bottling bucket."

All I've ever needed to remove particles of hops is to wrap the bottom of the syphon tube with a bit of double wrapped muslin cloth held in place with a tie-wrap; but as a general rule if I'm using pre-hopped extract from a kit there is no need.

3. "Prime and re-pitch yeast."

There is no need to pitch any more yeast before bottling. No matter how clear the beer looks there is an adequate number of yeast cells in there to carbonate the beer.

The best advice I can offer is that you follow the "Golden Rule" for beer brewing of "2+2+2" as follows:

o Two weeks fermenting.

o Two weeks carbonating.

o Two weeks conditioning.

Here's a photograph of an All Grain (Fullstows Recession Session) beer that was just stuck on a shelf for a week to clear after being carbonated properly.

Enjoy. :thumb:

RS after 1 week.jpg

Hi thank you for your answer!

I actually had it a conical for two weeks before bottling (1 week primary fermentation, harvesting/discarding yeast, 1 week secondary with dry hops).
I think it really cloudy by the dry hopping. It looks as if there is a whole lot of plant material in the bottles.

I will have the beer bottle condition for 3 weeks now and hope for it to settle down. When cooled the latest.

I actually never had a beer to turn out quite as cloudy as this. But its the first one in this set up.

Would you suggest to simply wait? ...I mean for this beer atatthere least there is not an other option left.

Thanks again!

Hi thank you for your answer!

I actually had it a conical for two weeks before bottling (1 week primary fermentation, harvesting/discarding yeast, 1 week secondary with dry hops).
I think it really cloudy by the dry hopping. It looks as if there is a whole lot of plant material in the bottles.

I will have the beer bottle condition for 3 weeks now and hope for it to settle down. When cooled the latest.

I actually never had a beer to turn out quite as cloudy as this. But its the first one in this set up.

Would you suggest to simply wait? ...I mean for this beer atatthere least there is not an other option left.

Thanks again!

Beer will normally clear given time. It all depends on how much yeast was in the bottle to start with, strain of yeast, temperature, and available sugars to name a few variables. Some beers will clear quicker than others as we have all found out.

Assuming it has finished carbonating (hopefully from only priming sugar!) you will just have to wait. In any case it should benefit from an extended conditioning period.

And whereas it is fairly easy for home brewers to filter out hop particles it is difficult for them to filter out yeast cells due to the particle size, unless they have invested in relatively expensive kit. And the majority don't bother because ultimately brew management and gravity really means these filiters are unnecessary.

The "cloudiest" beer I have ever had was a gluten free beer I brewed for a mate this year.

Bottled on the 6th August and put to condition on 20th August it was still cloudy (according to my mate) by the end of September.

I arrived back home at the beginning of this month and the control bottles I kept back were clear: after ten weeks sat on a shelf in a dark and cool garage!

It is remarkable just what time and gravity can achieve ... :thumb: :thumb:

... and I see evidence of this phenomenon every time I see myself in the mirror! :whistle: :whistle:

there are options, you can clear it by cold crashing if you have the FV in a fridge or with finnings if you don't. filtering would be an expensive last resort as well as the filter you would need a pump and I think that it would have to be a peristaltic type so you did not introduce any oxygen.
Finaly the cheapo and best option just wait and let it clear the extra time will help it to mature and you'll be rewarded for your patience.

Good luck aamcle

If you did still want to filter it after reading all the above, I imagine you could use a pump but it would need to be s serious one to push the beer through through the fineness of a filter designed to clear bear and getting kegs and gas would likely be a better option. Even better listen to the guys who already posted.

Latest posts

Back