copper manifold issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuffer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I cleaned all parts of my manifold today with a distilled white vinegar and salt mix, I then rinsed with cold water and left to dry on some paper towels. At first all parts came up shiny as new. But after a few hrs the corner /connector pieces have developed a blue/green residue but this hasn't happened in the straight pieces. Anyone any idea why and how to fix?

WP_20161115_18_10_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20161115_18_10_17_Pro.jpg

Why wouldn't it happen to all pieces? There must be something about the corner pieces that makes them more susceptible? Poor quality maybe?

Oxidation will make copper go dark brown, the green is from the acid in the vinegar. Use a bit of wire wool to clean it off and it will be fine. It's probably because the fittings have more tiny scratches in them than the pipe.

Oxidation will make copper go dark brown, the green is from the acid in the vinegar. Use a bit of wire wool to clean it off and it will be fine. It's probably because the fittings have more tiny scratches in them than the pipe.
Two replies mods

Maybe where the copper has been stretched when making the corners?

Maybe.

The corners actually would have had less scratches on them than on the straight bits. I hadn't done any work on the corners, they were out of the packet. The straight bits are likely to be more scratched as they were very much man handled when I was cutting them to size and making slices for the wort to drain through

Anyone else have the foggiest about what robin is on about?
You have to see a previous quote, (another thread) not related, regards multpul replies to garner info...i.e. how do you disseminate information if u have 3 different answers, that are all vaguely the same

It's down to oxidisation as yeastface says as they would have minor scratches on them but this is a lot to do with packaging due to their size as the pipe is packaged in bundles length wise and your smaller joints are boxed together.Try soaking with coke and rinsing in hot water as this shall as well.

Sent from my ALE-L21

copper oxidizes whereby it turns Blue / Green. Oxidation is a case whereby an element loses electrons (and/or hydrogen) on interacting with another element. There are many examples of oxidation, which we observe in our day-to-day life. To mention a few; there is oxidation of iron, aluminum and even, a freshly cut apple.
What you have is oxidation called verdigris, and it is characteristic of copper. It actually is the way copper protects its self from further corrosion.

This is why people often laquer copper once they polish it

You have to see a previous quote, (another thread) not related, regards multpul replies to garner info...i.e. how do you disseminate information if u have 3 different answers, that are all vaguely the same

Except in this case it is not people passing on their definitive knowledge and experience , more a case of speculating why this might have happened. There are an infinite number of threads that can come from speculation, not just three!
It's a bit unfair to hijack this guys thread to make your point as he obviously has no idea what you are on about!

Latest posts

Back