Asda grape juice or cheap wine kit for dessert wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbrewer2

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to brewing and have never done so before I want to make a sweet red wine a dessert wine so it doesn't have the harsh bitterness to it what's better to do so with it 100% grape juice or a cheap £20 wine kit and if juice witch one is better from asda is the asda red grape juice better or is Don Simon Spanish Red Grape Juice better they both have about 160 grams of sugar per litre and are 100% grape juice and any recipes for a nice red dessert wine would be appreciated thanks.

Hi I'm new to brewing and have never done so before I want to make a sweet red wine a dessert wine so it doesn't have the harsh bitterness to it what's better to do so with it 100% grape juice or a cheap £20 wine kit and if juice witch one is better from asda is the asda red grape juice better or is Don Simon Spanish Red Grape Juice better they both have about 160 grams of sugar per litre and are 100% grape juice and any recipes for a nice red dessert wine would be appreciated thanks.

Maybe late saturday night is a bad time to post this. But you have to attempt to narrow it down what you consider harsh bitterness. Intuitively I'd say high tannin giving dryness, but it might be high in sulphates which unbeknown to you, you're sensitive too and can taste.

For £3 asda red grape (3 ltrs)you can experiment and not be out of pocket and avoid using camdens/sulphites and extra tannin sources like tea or chestnut tannin as bought from a HBS store. With all grape wines only the tannin in the grape juice is the source. Kits use all manner of added chemicals to hit the target that red wine drinkers expect.

To find your sweet spot, suggest that you drop a hydrometer, if you have one, into a wine you like and take the reading and aim for that in any home made you make. We will talk you through, somewhat through the process.

Hi I'm new to brewing and have never done so before I want to make a sweet red wine a dessert wine so it doesn't have the harsh bitterness

As Tau says you need to explain what you mean by harsh bitterness.

You cannot make red wine from shop bought juice the best you will make is a dark Rosé, try the recipe below and switch the apple for another red if you prefer, you could use 4.5 litres of red grape juice which would make it look something like red wine but i doubt it would taste anything like it.

Rosé wine (A forum favourite)

1 litre Red grape juice.

1 litre Apple Juice.

800g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine.

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Latest posts

Back