Very Black Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Thought i would have a crack at a Dark Lager which i have drunk very little of to be honest. I have a fridge now but will probably just use that for cold crashing and ferment at 12c in garage then bottle

5.2kg UK Lager Malt 86%
250g Melanoidin 4.1%
200g Midnight Wheat 3.3%
200g Carafa 3 3.3%
200g Roast Barley cold steeped 3.3%
WLP830 yeast

Is the Melanoidin worth using or should i save that for a lighter beer. Aiming for a malty clean beer with a hint of roastiness.

For hops i have Saaz, Hallertau and some spalt. Never used Spalt before and cant remember why i bought it now. Also have loads of American hops so if its not got enough flavour i guess i can always add a hop tea and dry hop.
Was thinking 60,15 and flameout additions.
Suggestions most welcome. :)

I don't think you need the Melanoidin but I can't see it doing any harm. The pub near my work used to have Köstritzer Schwarzbier on tap, and a very nice black lager it was too. I'm interested in hearing how yours pans out, as I really need to get one of these on.

A friend of mine raves about the Köstritzer. Alas not tried it yet. Will let you know how this goes. I think i will leave the Melanoidin out and maybe add some flaked barley or a bit of special B.
Good point about the decotion mashing. I looked through the bible and the only Lager recipe using it was Vienna Lager, very light.
Anyone trie Spalt hops?

Ah yes i remember now why i bought it.

I went to Prague on the weekend and was drinking dark lagers left, right and centre. I absolutely loved them...not quite as roasty as other dark beers but a lot lighter and easy drinking.

I went to Prague on the weekend and was drinking dark lagers left, right and centre. I absolutely loved them...not quite as roasty as other dark beers but a lot lighter and easy drinking.

Sounds good to me. My last Lager is actually not bad after all apart from clarity. Its clean but hoppier than i was going for. Still not a problem for me. I used to drink a black beer in Japan, i didn't realise what it was at the time.
Noticed you did a Nelson Sauvin. Whats it like? I love the Punk IPA and its smell so was thinking about doing a smash.

New recipe based on the last link;

25l in th FV 65% efficiency
mash at 50c for 20mins
65c for 60mins

4kg Lager malt 70.2%
355 Roast Barley 6.1% cold steeped
100g Melanoidin malt 1.8%
1kg Munich malt 17.5%
250g crystal 60 4.4%

50g saaz @60
30g spalt @15
30g saaz @0
WLP830 yeast

I might get swap the flamout for citra or something else. Not sure yet.
I may add some boiling water after the first step to raise the temps as my pumps broken so wont be recirculating.

Do you think i need to do a mashout?

Back