Dry Hop experimentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippy40

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All

I am wanting to experiment with some dry hopping in my next brew.

I only brew with kits at present but I would like to get a bland ale kit and experiment with some hops for aroma/flavour.

What I am after is to try to get a nice ale with really, really floral notes. Something as hoppy as the American ales but floral rather than citrusy.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to hop additions that would suit my experiment?

Yup I also like Bobek or you could try a styrian goldings or savinksy goldings

The noble hops really give that nice floral yet more delicate hoppiness to a beer.

Hi All

I am wanting to experiment with some dry hopping in my next brew.

I only brew with kits at present but I would like to get a bland ale kit and experiment with some hops for aroma/flavour.

What I am after is to try to get a nice ale with really, really floral notes. Something as hoppy as the American ales but floral rather than citrusy.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to hop additions that would suit my experiment?
I buy wilkos hoppy copper which is a very bland kit and pimp it up with dry hopping everytime as it tends to lend well with experimentation,its also a very pale like colour which is better for experimenting with,upto yet from my logs I have enjoyed using cascade,citra amirrilo falconers flight and lemon grass mixing any two up for a brew.i particularily liked cascade and lemongrass and as you can see I go a different route as I like beer to be citrusy but look at the hop wheel to see what hops will give you what you are aiming for
http://appellationbeer.com/blog/hop-union-hop-aroma-wheel/

thanks gents for all the great advice (as usual). I will use the Wilkco hoppy copper as said above and use the hop wheel.:thumb:

hop wheel?
is that like the wheel of fortune?

yep sort of lol.

It is supposed to help with choosing complimentary hop additions though I do think it is a rule of thumb. I have looked at this one here:

flavour-wheel-page-001.jpg

I did one Hoppy Copper, before ditching kits which i feel is a good kit to mess around with.
Styrian Goldings are worth a look,possibly cascade,amarillo or a mix of both of those and possibly chinook.

I did one Hoppy Copper, before ditching kits which i feel is a good kit to mess around with.
Styrian Goldings are worth a look,possibly cascade,amarillo or a mix of both of those and possibly chinook.

Thanks for the advice. I am thinking of using the Styrian Goldings as part of my experiment. I have already tried cascade, Amarillo and chinook. I love them but I want something distinctly floral in nature - these ones tend to impart a citrusy aroma as well as the floral parts - I just want floral.

Do you think that using a small amount of cascade as part of other hop mix would impart a floral hit whilst pushing the citrusy aroma/flavour into the background??? If so, I might well use it.

Chinook Amarillo will definitely give it a citrus kick,currently drinking the very same and lovely it is too,definitely do it again

Latest posts

Back