Licorice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been addicted to the stuff since a lad.

A mate of mine (a diabetic) and I used to buy it by the box from here ...

http://www.liquorice-withatwist.co....e-extract-suitable-for-coeliacs-and diabetics

... the price has gone through the roof in the last few years (I remember when it was less than fifty quid for a 99 stick box) so we are managing to do without at the moment.

I've always thought it was more a "laxative" than a "diuretic" so I have never used it in a brew for that reason. :whistle: :whistle:

use molasses or black treacle for a licorice 'taint' to a brew, be careful however a 1lb jar of molasses in a 5gallon brew can provide an overpowering licorice flavour..

use molasses or black treacle for a licorice 'taint' to a brew, be careful however a 1lb jar of molasses in a 5gallon brew can provide an overpowering licorice flavour..

As a liquorice addict, molasses just doesn't come close as a replacement for the real thing ... :nono: :nono:

... but I do consume it in ways that range from spreading it on my toast to using it as a rub for meat prior to cooking ...

... and you are very right, a little goes a long way! :thumb: :thumb:

Hi, first post for me.

Still a work in progress but figure I should share. I used liquorice root in a pale ale AG after seeing a bottle of liquorice stout, it got my tastebuds thinking. Soon found the damn stuff is hard as rock and doesn`t like to soften even in a boil so a pair of nasty, chewy pliars was called for, snap and crush.
First time making a 20L brew I just added roughly 30g to boil and it was a no show in the brew. Even tested a piece of the root, chewed it and tasted pretty good so figured I just needed more.
Second time much better! Again roughly measured 40g in mash tun with grain and another 40g in boil. Lovely brew with a definite aftertaste of liquorice.
So if that`s all you want, try that but I gotta admit it`s still missing something. Next time I want to include some star anise but not sure how much to add, don`t want to overpower the liquorice root. Maybe I will have that worked out after a couple more tries, cross fingers hehe. One thing for sure it will get drunk unless I put too much in.

Cheers
Craig

Latest posts

Back