I'll never use tap water again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxbat

Landlord.
Reaction score
I got lazy, cheap, or possibly both in my last brew and used tap water for the brewing liquor. Our tap water tastes strongly of chlorine which is why we have a '3rd tap' that runs through an undersink filter. That water tastes neutral, which is what I used in the brew.

The result is a strongly phenolic undrinkable brew. Strong antiseptic/disinfectant/astringent taste with a slight burning aftertaste. Nasty stuff and it's actually got worse over the course of a few weeks. It's going to have to be chucked and a lesson is learned the hard way.

I stirred in a crushed half campden tablet into the cold water before heating for the mash but it obviously wasn't enough, I didn't stir enough, or it didn't dissolve in the cold water. Or maybe it was the litre of untreated water I added post-boil to bring down the OG. Or maybe it was insufficient rinsing after cleaning with VWP (unlikely - I do rinse a lot). Come to think of it, I do vaguely remember a tell-tale faint blue-green tint to the water in the heater and that's a sign of the presence of chlorine.

Anyway, changes to be made before the next brew:

1. Eden Falls or other bottled water for ALL brewing water in future.
  2. Replace 5 year old plastic FV with a new one. I don't think infection was the cause but this needs doing anyway.
  3. New siphon tube. I avoid taps on the FV because they can be a source of infection and are difficulty to clean.
  4. Out with VWP and in with PBW.
  5. And the expensive one - a calibrated digital thermometer & stainless probe from RS. All this talk of mashing with 1 degree tolerance is fantasy unless you have a calibrated thermometer/probe pair. I don't think temperature was the issue but as an engineer it irks me to trust an uncalibrated instrument.

Damn you Anglian Water!

The result is a strongly phenolic undrinkable brew. Strong antiseptic/disinfectant/astringent taste with a slight burning aftertaste. Nasty stuff and it's actually got worse over the course of a few weeks.

Are you sure it's the water - that sounds like an infection to me, especially as it got worse week-on-week.Your description of the taste is classic infection territory (I've had a few).

Like you I've got a 3rd tap fed via an undersink filter. I had a series of infections last year, I can't say for sure but I'd not changed the filter as regularly as I should of, after I changed it I got no more infections (but I changed other things as well, so can't say for sure it was this).

Are you sure it's the water - that sounds like an infection to me, especially as it got worse week-on-week.Your description of the taste is classic infection territory (I've had a few).

Like you I've got a 3rd tap fed via an undersink filter. I had a series of infections last year, I can't say for sure but I'd not changed the filter as regularly as I should of, after I changed it I got no more infections (but I changed other things as well, so can't say for sure it was this).

I agree Sounds like an infection. I doubt it's your water.

It's worth bearing in mind that if your tap water has a lot of chlorine in it, it's because the water has a lot of s**t in it from leaks in the supply chain probably. So the water you mashed with then boiled was probably ok as the boil sterilises everything, but adding cold water from the tap to reduce the OG probably wasn't. I wouldn't even rinse with it either unless you've boiled it first.
Personally, I think a lot of peoples problems with infected brews comes from using cold tap water. Our water supply is private from a spring and is heavily polluted with sheep s**t off the mountain. So everything gets boiled when I'm brewing - and I never get infections.

I can never be 100% certain, hence the reason I'm changing quite a few things in the chain. However the taste is strongly reminiscent of drinking the unfiltered tap water, hence the finger of blame towards chlorophenols. There was no outward sign of infection (growths on the surface, cloudy beer, unusual fermentation behaviour)

I haven't changed the filter for a few years. I never bother until the taste deteriorates which it hasn't done to date. The manufacturer recommends every 6 months but I suspect that's as much to maintain their regular sales as anything else.

So the water you mashed with then boiled was probably ok as the boil sterilises everything, but adding cold water from the tap to reduce the OG probably wasn't. I wouldn't even rinse with it either unless you've boiled it first.
That late water addition and the equipment clean/rinse with VWP then tap water is the strongest suspect in my mind. That's not going to happen again. Boiling wouldn't remove chloromine if Anglian used it in my area which they don't so that wouldn't be an issue.

There was no outward sign of infection (growths on the surface, cloudy beer, unusual fermentation behaviour)

None of my infections had those signs either.

Is your brew bottled? If so, stash a few bottles away for another month or two then open them carefully: the infections I've had carry on producing CO2, resulting in one bottle hitting the kitchen ceiling when opened and several bottles exploding - might be worth storing them in a plastic crate.

It's really worth working out if you have an infection or not before doing more brews. Like you I posted on here and got a variety of views, I carried on brewing and ended up with infections in several FVs, several kegs and a variety of bottles. 6 brews had to go down the drain and I got severely de-motivated. I've been clear of infection in 2016 but wish I'd stopped brewing sooner and isolated the issue.

I loathe Anglian Water with a passion ... :oops: :oops:

... but in our area they put so little chlorine in the water that our cold taps actually grow a black algae up inside the faucets. :doh:

I reported the problem to Anglian Water and after analysing my water they came back and told me that the algae was not injurious to health, the water was within the Ofwat Guidelines for purity etc and it was therefore fit to drink.

I do still drink it, but I also installed one of these just upstream of the cold tap that I use for ALL of my brewing activities ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/r8o/Wate...482578847&sr=8-2&keywords=jabsco+water+filter

Presuming that winter temperatures will help keep bacteria levels low, I change out the filter cartridge every Spring; and I have NEVER had a problem using the water that it delivers. :thumb:

None of my infections had those signs either.

Is your brew bottled? If so, stash a few bottles away for another month or two then open them carefully: the infections I've had carry on producing CO2, resulting in one bottle hitting the kitchen ceiling when opened and several bottles exploding - might be worth storing them in a plastic crate.
I've got about a dozen bottled and the rest in a King Keg. Bottles and keg taste the same. The wife is sensitive to disinfectant flavours and spotted it immediately. It took me about 5 pints to agree it was bad... :grin:

There's no pressure for me to chuck the bottles so I'll move them somewhere safe and open them periodically. If there's over-carbonation then I know there's some sort of infection.

It's really worth working out if you have an infection or not before doing more brews. Like you I posted on here and got a variety of views, I carried on brewing and ended up with infections in several FVs, several kegs and a variety of bottles. 6 brews had to go down the drain and I got severely de-motivated. I've been clear of infection in 2016 but wish I'd stopped brewing sooner and isolated the issue.

I don't think there's any way I can tell for sure which is why I'm changing as much as feasible in the post-boil equipment and cleaning regime. The only thing I do know is that the previous brew with the same equipment and bottled water was fine. I switched to tap water and... oops.

I've been clear of infection in 2016 but wish I'd stopped brewing sooner and isolated the issue.
Can you remember all the parts that you changed to get yourself clear of infection?

Can you remember all the parts that you changed to get yourself clear of infection?

I didn't actually throw anything, I instigated a really thorough cleaning regime: hot water wash, followed by an Oxi clean, followed by sanitation (VWP) followed by a kettle of boiled water. May seem like overkill but it got rid of it, apart from in the Rotokeg which being round is a pain as I can't run a kettle of water on the inside. Just deciding whether to chuck it.

I agree with darrellm, it sounds more like an infection to me. The fact that you used campden tab makes it unlikely to be due to chlorine from the water, 1 tab is enough to treat 75L of water.

We've got a filter under the sink for drinking (and brewing) water. When its exhausted its really clear from the (chlorine) taste that the filters done and needs replaced (normally once a year). If your filtered water still tastes OK then I agree with others its probably not the water

I got lazy, cheap, or possibly both in my last brew and used tap water for the brewing liquor. Our tap water tastes strongly of chlorine which is why we have a '3rd tap' that runs through an undersink filter. That water tastes neutral, which is what I used in the brew.

The result is a strongly phenolic undrinkable brew. Strong antiseptic/disinfectant/astringent taste with a slight burning aftertaste. Nasty stuff and it's actually got worse over the course of a few weeks. It's going to have to be chucked and a lesson is learned the hard way.

I stirred in a crushed half campden tablet into the cold water before heating for the mash but it obviously wasn't enough, I didn't stir enough, or it didn't dissolve in the cold water. Or maybe it was the litre of untreated water I added post-boil to bring down the OG. Or maybe it was insufficient rinsing after cleaning with VWP (unlikely - I do rinse a lot). Come to think of it, I do vaguely remember a tell-tale faint blue-green tint to the water in the heater and that's a sign of the presence of chlorine.

Anyway, changes to be made before the next brew:

1. Eden Falls or other bottled water for ALL brewing water in future.
  2. Replace 5 year old plastic FV with a new one. I don't think infection was the cause but this needs doing anyway.
  3. New siphon tube. I avoid taps on the FV because they can be a source of infection and are difficulty to clean.
  4. Out with VWP and in with PBW.
  5. And the expensive one - a calibrated digital thermometer & stainless probe from RS. All this talk of mashing with 1 degree tolerance is fantasy unless you have a calibrated thermometer/probe pair. I don't think temperature was the issue but as an engineer it irks me to trust an uncalibrated instrument.

Damn you Anglian Water!
6. Move to Scotland ;)

Latest posts

Back