Wyeast 1010 Substitute

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braziliain

Small Batch Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a dried yeast substitute for Wyeast 1010 American Wheat?

The reason I would like dried, is that I am brewing very small batches and I can save the dried yeast to use it more than once. If I buy liquid it costs more than all the other ingredients put together and its a one shot.

Two schools of thought from searching. There is Fermentis WB-06 which is a German Wheat beer, but it is supposed to impart some esters, whereas the Wyeast 1010 is described as a clean, tart finish. So possibly a pseudo lager ale yeast? Something clean like Nottingham or Gervin?

Thanks

American Wheats aren't the overly about yeast character. US-05 or similar should be fine. (Assuming that's what style you want the yeast for).

However, you can reuse the slurry from liquid yeast. Unless you're using slurry within a couple of days, you'll need to make a starter but you can get several uses out of the one sachet. If you can do that then it doesn't end you any more expensive that a packet of dry yeast each brew.

American Wheats aren't the overly about yeast character. US-05 or similar should be fine. (Assuming that's what style you want the yeast for).

This. I made an American Wheat with US-05 and it's probably the best beer I've made! American wheats rely on the hops for the flavour rather than the yeast esters so a nice clean yeast is fine.

Thanks for the replies.

The only real reason for not attempting to reuse a liquid yeast, is that it's a new process to me. Actually, brewing in general is and I'm just trying to get my head around the basics. I've done a 8L AG BIAB before Christmas that went well and I'm just trying to dial in the process.

I will take the advice on board though and stash it on my 'to try' list!

I've added a US-05 to my order so will try that. I think it will suit the Yorkshire Bitter recipe I have earmarked too.

I've added a US-05 to my order so will try that. I think it will suit the Yorkshire Bitter recipe I have earmarked too.

Well actually it wontas it's too clean. You could use it of course but an English Ale yeast would suit a bitter better. If your looking at dried yeast Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell or MJ Empire ale/Windsor/Lellemand ESB would suit better but be aware the last three have medium attentuation so you'd either need to mash lower or add some simple sugars like golden syrup to get the attenuation lower. You could also use S04 but lots of people dont like it as they say it give a nasty tart flavour

Good knowledge, thanks. Still have much to learn.

I have a Wilko Gervin in the cupboard which I think will also be pretty clean, but I think HBO down the road stock Mangrove Jacks.

Its a few weeks away yet. I have a Wherry to put on and a Raspberry Wheat Beer to conjure up first.

Or make a starter from liquid yeast and split it.

That's what I'd do. The honebrew dad calculator has an overbuild field that makes it really easy to work out the starter size.

Starters frightened the life out of me until I made one, it's a very simple process and the step by step guide on this forum is really good.

In that case I'd swap out the wherry yeast (as it's notorius for sticking), for perhaps oe of the ones I've mentioned then harvest the yeast from the bottom of the FV for you AG brews

I like the idea, but I'm currently clueless with regard to harvesting yeast or making liquid starters. Dumping a dry yeast in just allows me to concentrate on getting everything else right at the moment. I visited the Bluestone Brewery in Pembrokeshire a few weeks back and they were explaining how they harvest and reuse their yeasts 4 times. In that situation I can see it is far less waste.

Is it as simple as dredging out a jar full and putting it in the fridge?

I suppose I would have 2 weeks to read up on it while the Wherry does its thing.

Is it as simple as dredging out a jar full and putting it in the fridge?

Yeah. After you've emptied your FV, just pour the slurry into a sanitised jar. Then put it in the fridge. Then just pour some into your wort next time you make some beer. You make 7L batches right? Then just pour about 40ml-50ml in. After a month of the stuff in the fridge your going to need to make a starter. Ignore all that stuff you'll come across about rinsing the yeast with water as your not supposed to.

Latest posts

Back