Different crystal malts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaquiss2005

Reaction score
On looking at various recipes, crystal malt is described in different varieties from crystal 15 to crystal 120.

What is the difference (I presume one end of this is light crystal and the other dark crystal), but which is which and where just states crystal, which one to use.

I am currently looking at a recipe which calls for crystal 15 and crystal 120

The lower the number, the paler the malt is ("ordinary" pale malt is about 5 EBC.
For me, 15 wouldn't truly be a crystal malt, as called for in most recipes, but something more like Caragold. Whilst this is also processed so that the starch is converted to sugars (therefore it doesn't need mashing), it is so lightly heated that it does a different job to traditional crystal malts. I'd say it gives a smoother, heavier-bodied, richer feel to the brew. Traditional crystal malt (say EBC 100-120) gives colour, but also a biscuity, perhaps caramel-like flavour to my taste. I'd go for this one if the recipe just said "crystal".
Dark crystal malts can be over EBC 200.
Basically, the longer and hotter the malt is kilned the more caramelisation of sugars takes place. Also, the more "toasted" will be the flavour. I'd only use the darker ones with discretion.

On looking at various recipes, crystal malt is described in different varieties from crystal 15 to crystal 120.

What is the difference (I presume one end of this is light crystal and the other dark crystal), but which is which and where just states crystal, which one to use.

I am currently looking at a recipe which calls for crystal 15 and crystal 120
here you go
Brewing grain substitution chart

Just realised that I failed to mention that there are two "colour scales": EBC (usual in UK/Europe) and Lovibond (USA). I'd assumed EBC, quite possibly in error!
EBC values are close to twice Lovibond - but it isn't an exact linear relationship.
It's a big one to watch out for if you're using an American recipe but buying British or European ingredients

In the Greg Hughes book, a lot of recipes just call for 'crystal malt' with no number. What are people using in this situation?

Is it just middle of the scale?

Edit: Just re-read above. 100-120. :thumb:

When I started brewing (regrettably a long time ago!) there was only one grade of "crystal malt" available in the UK (at least to homebrewers). Looking at my old Wheeler's "Home Brewing" book, it reckons this would be 100-130 (EBC). So, for older recipes, I'd definitely use this as a guide - probably the same where no particular colour or type is specified.

It is often suggested that crystal malts aid with head retention but I read an interesting article that suggesting that this actually wasn't the case. Dark roasted malts definitely do but most crystal malts actually have a negative impact on head retention.

For this reason I've decided to use up my pale crystal and Carapils and not bother with them again. If I want to add colour and a caramelly taste then I will use them but I don't think I need the very pale varieties.

It is often suggested that crystal malts aid with head retention but I read an interesting article that suggesting that this actually wasn't the case. Dark roasted malts definitely do but most crystal malts actually have a negative impact on head retention.

For this reason I've decided to use up my pale crystal and Carapils and not bother with them again. If I want to add colour and a caramelly taste then I will use them but I don't think I need the very pale varieties.

I think CaraPils is an exception to that rule as it adds Dextrine (amongst other things) to the mash which aid head retention.
The other Caramalts are supposed to have a negative effect though.

DA

Latest posts

Back