Still gobsmacked !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
Just filled another 5 bottles with a simple white wine (Chippies simple Rose but substituted red grape with Waitrose white grape)

Damn fine and still pleases me immensely when I stand back and gaze in wonder at 5 crystal clear bottles of wine that cost me next to nothing to make.

Oh home brewing / wine making - where have you been all my life .

And the great thing about bottling nights ? There is never quite enough to fully fill the last bottle - so nothing left but to sup it !!

Feeling proud of my hard work [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The white grape juice and apple juice (AKA Easy White Wine) used to be one of the forum favourites and i used to make it regularly until WGJ became difficult to get hold of, if you can find pomegranate juice try that with a WGJ i think you will be pleasantly surprised.

pvt_ak are you topping up to the base of the neck after racking and stabilising, you should get 6 bottles and enough for a small taster glass from a DJ, if you don't already do this (and are as tight as me) put a thick book or something similar under the opposite edge to your racking cane to get the most out, some people go to great lengths to achieve this. :lol:

FTL8K5UHLSHH8AG.MEDIUM.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/Demijohn-Carboy-Tilt-device-a-simple-way-to-not-wa/

pvt_ak are you topping up to the base of the neck after racking and stabilising, you should get 6 bottles and enough for a small taster glass from a DJ, if you don't already do this (and are as tight as me) put a thick book or something similar under the opposite edge to your racking cane to get the most out, some people go to great lengths to achieve this. :lol:

FTL8K5UHLSHH8AG.MEDIUM.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/Demijohn-Carboy-Tilt-device-a-simple-way-to-not-wa/

Genius and yet so simple - 6 bottles next time me thinks [emoji106]

The white grape juice and apple juice (AKA Easy White Wine) used to be one of the forum favourites and i used to make it regularly until WGJ became difficult to get hold of, if you can find pomegranate juice try that with a WGJ i think you will be pleasantly surprised.

That's this weekends brew night taken care off !! Assuming I can find pomegranate .....

Does anyone know why WGJ suddenly turned into unobtanium about 3 years ago? I used to get pure pressed white grape juice from Asda for the missus' wine and then all of a sudden it disappeared, never to be seen since. Lordy there was hell on at our house until I devised an alternative, I can tell you. The OP mentions Waitrose but there ain't one around here, and I bet it ain't anywhere near as cheap as Asda's was anyway! None of the other supermarkets around here sell it. Tragic, really.

Does anyone know why WGJ suddenly turned into unobtanium about 3 years ago? I used to get pure pressed white grape juice from Asda for the missus' wine and then all of a sudden it disappeared, never to be seen since. Lordy there was hell on at our house until I devised an alternative, I can tell you. The OP mentions Waitrose but there ain't one around here, and I bet it ain't anywhere near as cheap as Asda's was anyway! None of the other supermarkets around here sell it. Tragic, really.

Waitrose was the only place I could find - think it was circa £1.70 per litre . So not Lidl or Asda Price ! But makes a damn good vino [emoji106]

Yea pomegranate makes a nice one matey, I dud one a year ago...

Bit more expensive cos the pom juice I found was only 30% pom so used a few more...

Juices were
5ltr Asda red grape (100% grape)
1ltr Asda Red grape, Strawb & Kiwi (70%, 20%, 10%)
9ltr Asda Pomegranate juice (30% pom, 7% grape)
3ltr Asda smart price apple

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

About to go to asda, does the pom & grape make a reasonable wine? Red or rose?

Yes it's a rose but you definitely get the pomegranate coming through... I'm off there this morning and think I'll get stuff to make another one of these

Yes it's a rose but you definitely get the pomegranate coming through... I'm off there this morning and think I'll get stuff to make another one of these

I'm going to have a trip to Waitrose see what I can see !
If it's too expensive I may just give this batch a go over the weekend too [emoji106]

I think I seen someone on here say something about blended sultanas mixed up with water make a good wgj substitute has anyone else heard or tried this?

I think I seen someone on here say something about blended sultanas mixed up with water make a good wgj substitute has anyone else heard or tried this?

Yes works fine and good, but when blending you'll get some fine sediment. On the plus side the all sugar in the sultana is used and the resultant alc' not trapped in the grape which you get when using chopped method.

Yes works fine and good, but when blending you'll get some fine sediment. On the plus side the all sugar in the sultana is used and the resultant alc' not trapped in the grape which you get when using chopped method.

Sounds great Do you know what the proportions of sultanas to water are?

Sounds great Do you know what the proportions of sultanas to water are?

Just 250g per gallon for a simple white, 500g if you want more body. Essentially 250g is equivalent to 1 litre of white grape juice which you can make a wine out of. I often just use 250g of sultanas say for elderflower wine.

Just supping a bottle of this simple white - damn damn fine. Bit early in its maturity I know - but still tastes good [emoji16]

Just filled another 5 bottles with a simple white wine (Chippies simple Rose but substituted red grape with Waitrose white grape)

Damn fine and still pleases me immensely when I stand back and gaze in wonder at 5 crystal clear bottles of wine that cost me next to nothing to make.

Oh home brewing / wine making - where have you been all my life .

And the great thing about bottling nights ? There is never quite enough to fully fill the last bottle - so nothing left but to sup it !!

Feeling proud of my hard work [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

I genuinely prefer the WoW to my bloody 110 euro Kenridge ! It's miles better actually. :thumb:

Back