Mixing Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanzanite

Landlord.
Reaction score
This afternoon i took a Lager off the yeast (saf 23 Lager yeast) into secondary to clear and relax. The yeast looked very clean and smelled beautiful. So i opened a tin of Coopers Mexican Cerveza made it up with 1kg of Extra light spray malt, the yeast from the kit which is a Ale Lager yeast mix . I then thought why not and fired in the clean yeast from the previous brew. i will dry hop with 25g of Halletau or Liberty ? . We will see what transpires. Has any one else use blends or mixes. :whistle:

I've mixed yeasts before, mainly when I thought the first packet I pitched wasn't doing anything. I added a second packet but it turns out that the first yeast I used is known for being a very slow starter. In the end it was the first yeast that seemed to dominate the character. I couldn't detect any of the characteristics of the second yeast that went in.

Depending on how much yeast you took from the previous brew and at what temperature you ferment at I suspect the lager yeast will be the one that wins out with this brew. If you've chucked in a fair amount it will out compete the little packet of ale yeast. If you ferment it at cool temperatures then the ale yeast will probably not even get going.

I've mixed yeasts before, mainly when I thought the first packet I pitched wasn't doing anything. I added a second packet but it turns out that the first yeast I used is known for being a very slow starter. In the end it was the first yeast that seemed to dominate the character. I couldn't detect any of the characteristics of the second yeast that went in.

Depending on how much yeast you took from the previous brew and at what temperature you ferment at I suspect the lager yeast will be the one that wins out with this brew. If you've chucked in a fair amount it will out compete the little packet of ale yeast. If you ferment it at cool temperatures then the ale yeast will probably not even get going.

simon its going along lovely , fermenting well in just 5-6 hours, so we will have to see what it makes, the cooper yeast is a ale lager yeast mix then the saf 23 i added it will be fine i am sure bit of a mexican german lager hybrid lol:whistle::thumb:

Latest posts

Back