tastes like home brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something I'll add is due to impatience AG brews can have a 'homebrew' taste simply because they haven't aged enough yet and aren't quite ready.

It's not the sugar, this is one of those things that people hear "too much sugar gives a cidery flavour", which after a while changes slightly to become "sugar gives a cidery flavour". But how much is too much? Probably a lot more than people think.
I've used 1kg of sugar in some of my belgian ales without any twang. Some of the big Belgian brewers use upwards of 15-20% sugar, again without any off flavours.

hope that's candi sugar ;-)

on second thoughts that's less for me :lol:

tap water is going to give a twang if untreated as it's delivered with chlorine or cholormine :-(

I treat my tap water when using it for the fish tank, but this is only belt and braces really.
I can't taste anything odd in my tap water.

- using liquid malt extract rather than grain

Can I suggest a modification to this one: "using liquid malt extract rather than dried malt (DME) or grain.

I've read a lot about people having issues with liquid malt but never really noticed. I just did a load of brews with liquid malt and dried malt, all the liquid malt ones were inferior and had a twang. I think liquid malt needs to be fresh to be OK (I have had good LME brews) but there's no way to tell when ordering, so I'm going over to DME/spraymalt from now on.

Can I suggest a modification to this one: "using liquid malt extract rather than dried malt (DME) or grain.

I've read a lot about people having issues with liquid malt but never really noticed. I just did a load of brews with liquid malt and dried malt, all the liquid malt ones were inferior and had a twang. I think liquid malt needs to be fresh to be OK (I have had good LME brews) but there's no way to tell when ordering, so I'm going over to DME/spraymalt from now on.
You might be right:thumb:
I have recently made up some extract brews with Homebrew Company LME (comes in a plain can). Each time I have had a possible twang early on which does seem to subside with time, although I can't completely confirm that because I have two brews currently in conditioning. What I can say is that an extract mild changed noticeably three weeks on from the first one I sampled after two weeks in the bottle.
I have now bought some Mangrove Jack and Coopers LME to test out one theory that it may be the 'cheap' LME that is responsible. Ironically I don't seem to remember getting this problem when I used jars of H&B own brand LME

Back