When to add the packet of yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bees8932

Reaction score
I want to make some Turbo Cider and after reading some recipes I wish to know if:
a) I should add campden and Pectolase on the first day, wait 24 hours and add the sugar (and measure) and add the yeast nutrient, wait another 24 hours and add a packet of yeast. or..
b) Add the camden and Pectolase and then wait 48 hours and add the sugar (and measure), yeast nutrient and packet of yeast at the same time.

also is 150g of sugar about right for 4.5 -5 l of juice?, this appears to be a common amount but some mention as little as two tea spoons or as much as 300g.

Thank you for the advice so far

Hi!

I've made a few TC's now and I haven't used campden and don't always use pectolase (haven't noticed any difference). I think campden is usually added if you are using fruit from the garden rather than supermarket juice to ensure it is safe to drink. If you use supermarket juice, then no need.

I don't add additional sugar either. Just 3L of apple juice from the supermarket, 1L of a different juice (strawberry & kiwi was my last one), 500ml of very strong black tea, make sure it is somewhere 20 - 24C temperature and pitch the yeast. All done in 30 minutes! Make sure juices are 100% juice (from concentrate is fine) and no preservatives.

This usually brings me out at 5.5 to 6%abv. If you want stronger you can add some sugar.

It's super easy and tastes surprisingly good!

Roddy has lots of tried and tested recipes and a handy sugar calculator in his signature. I'm sure he'll be along soon :)

As mentioned by Braz', you don't need to add a camden at the start of a juice based turbo cider, 1/2 tsp of pectolase is fine unless you use cloudy apple juice then 1 tsp. The amount of sugar you quote is ok, if your starting juice is say 95g/litre, so bumping up the abv from 4.4% is fine. You can add the camden when the cider is at it's desired sg to slow down and finish the cider.

what those good people above said and I would also emphasise the need to add REALLY strong tea. It improves it no end and also if you feel that the mouthfeel needs improved a little glycerine will help

Latest posts

Back