What is best for bottling up.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bees8932

Reaction score
What is best to bottle up my cider? I have some two liter glass demijohns with screw lids, a couple of spirit bottles with screw lids and some 500ml plastic sparkling water bottles again with screw lids. I am saving glass beer bottles but these have no lids.

Are all these ok to use or would I be better going to a popular homeware store and either buying a bottle capper and tops or a load of PET bottles (I'm a bit unsure of the difference between PET bottles and the sparkling waters I have been saving).

Do not mind buying things if it would prolong the life of my cider .

Thank you in advance

Brian

Have you carbonated the cider, if yes avoid glass bottles not designed to take pressure, I used to use spring sparkling water bottles which were PET.

If the bottles are screw top have a look at this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56326

PET plastic bottles

PET (polyethylene terephthalate) is a type of resin and a form of polyester; it is commonly labelled with the #1 code on or near the bottom of bottles and other containers. PET has some important characteristics such its strength, thermo-stability, gas barrier properties and transparency. It is also lightweight, shatter-resistant and recyclable.

It all depends on whether or not you want "sparkling" cider or "flat" cider.

For any "sparkling" or "fizzy" brew you MUST have a bottle capable of taking the pressure; and this usually means that spirit bottles and DJs are unsuitable.

PET bottles are made from a particular plastic that doesn't give any "plastic" taste to whatever is contained within it. Some PET bottles are capable of taking pressure (e.g. those used for Coca Cola and other sparkling drinks) and others aren't (e.g. those used for still water or cordials).

Personally, I'm not a fan of PET bottles so I would (and did) spend the money on buying a bench capper and use glass beer bottles. :thumb:

I use a mixture of 500ml brown pet bottles and swing top grolsch bottles.

I prefer the swing top bottles and have accumulated 40-50 when they've been on offer in Asda (now and again they're £1.66 each) 😀

Any plastic bottle designed to hold sparkling juice is fine for fizzy cider though 😊

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back