Handling PB leak

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with TerryM. :thumb:

Don't forget the inside non-return seal that prevents CO2 from flowing out. If it isn't exactly the right size (it has to fit at the back of a tiny lip on the inlet spigot) it can lift off when you inject CO2.

Thanks a lot for all your advice. I will check the inside valve next time I run out of pressure. I might go for the Tesco bottling option as well. Is it still okay to transfer over after 3 weeks in the barrel ?

Okay thanks. I do you know how safe the tesco bottle are. I do have a slight carbonation at the moment but nothing to intense due to the leak. Since I am currently cooling the beer down for it to dissolve more CO2 I suspect it might be enough to bump up the pressure in the bottle when they are left back at 18C. I'll probably test with a bottle or two.

Another idea would be to use a regulator (I'm thinking something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J33C9FS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
)

I could just close it during storage and open it a little when I want to draw a pint ? Any one tried fitting one of those on an S30 valve ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Regulator-...51483&sr=8-7&keywords=home+brew+co2+regulator

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a king keg top tap for about 5 years and worked OK but never used it for the last 2 years. I resurected it and fitted a new tap (dalex) and put my beer in but kept leaking and I used a whole CO2 cylinder just to get the beer out. Couldn't find any leaks so decided on drastic action

I bought a new valve for the top and refitted my original king keg drum tap*, don't like it but it works. I made a porter and put it in the barrel before Christmas, had a few over the holidays and topped up with a blast of CO2. There is about 5 litres left of 23 and every few days or so I am taking a few halves out and pressure still maintaining.

I was very careful fitting the tap with vaseline on threads and on teh top cap and with the new valve seems to have done the trick. For a few quid it saves a lot of bottling

*The drum taps are difficult to turn both on and off but solved this by getting a bit of wood about 3 inches long by 1 inch deep, cut a notch to fit across the top of the drum tap creating a handle and can now operate the tap succesfully with no drips.

a micro hole below the liquid level will soon become apparent as it will atomise beer which initially smells great but soon sours once its soaked into carpets wall paper and anything else porous.

Latest posts

Back